Who are the cornet players with the nicest sound????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sionowz, Jul 13, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've always liked Brian Taylor's sound! I've always maintained that he stepped down at Faireys far too early. When you place his solo recordings side by side as a compilation, he is a very polished performer.

2. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Dyl, go easy on Ian Perks -- don't take him so literally. When Berry Gordy stated that Michael Jackson was the finest entertainer ever (at Jackson's memorial service/concert), do you think he'd heard every entertainer in the world right from the beginning? Of course not!

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

No, but at least he knew what he was talking about! And I could understand him! ;)

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Brian's got a point, Dyl, and I don't know if you're taking it or not... You do ride roughshod over [translation: mock] Ian regularly. He can open himself up to this by his style, but consistently taking the time to poke him in the eye for the 'sin' of being over-enthusiastic and a bit naive strikes me and has struck me for a while as being aggressive and a bit unpleasant, not qualities we want to see on this forum, much less in a moderator.

I think you do a good job in all other aspects here, but often find myself wincing when I see you respond unkindly to Ian.

5. flash harry

flash harry Member

I would have to say David Purkiss. I think he now plays with the International Staff Band.

He played for us (Thoresby) some years ago and he had such a lovely sound - everything just seemed to be right. Top player and nice bloke too.

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Thanks Dave, but I'm sorry, if I see something I disagree with, I'll reply to it. Ian's 'outrageous' claim that started this off, here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showpost.php?p=683144&postcount=188 , is an example of such a case. Ok, maybe my last 2 posts in this thread were uncalled-for, and more to the point, off-topic, so I'll apologise for that.

Sure, point taken, but that won't be the case for much longer, as I've been waiting for some time now to be taken off the moderator list! Then I can, like all non-'staff', use the ignore function to stop me seeing the drivel posted by some, then removing the temptation for me to speak my mind! Of course, that works i nthe opposite direction - in that being a non-mod, others will be able to ignore me as well, so we can all be happy!! ;)

Thanks.

Exactly the same feeling I get when having to read his posts!

Anyway, I'll stop there, as I'm no doubt making this worse, and taking us even more off-topic! Thanks for your comments, feel free to contact me via PM if you want to discuss this further! ;)

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You apologise!!
    Have you had a bang on the head do you feel ok?

8. wittig

wittig Member

Kirsty Abbotts gets my vote for the cornet player with the nicest sound, number one by quite some distance for me just now.

9. Di B

Di B Member

Being a euph player I dont notice cornets often but I have to give credit to Kirsty too. Her sound makes you stop whatever you are doing and just listen.

As for lower sections... I would say Andy Allison of Carlton Brass has a lovely sound. Used to play at NCT with him and he has a clear sweet sound. An underestimated player in my opinion.

10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I'd go with that

11. blue juice

blue juice Member

Emma Lundberg. Plays for Leyburn I think and helps out Ripon City. Had the pleasure of sitting next to her for this years areas. Beautiful sound.

12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Most certainly Philip Cobb (the man of the moment). For an example, listen to his CD Life Abundant (with Cory Band) and in particular "Healing Waters" (Downie). Effortless note production, fine tone and vibrato to suit the music, beautiful control throughout the register and complete artistry.

I also very much like the sound his grandfather, Roland Cobb, produced on the cornet, but that's a few years ago.

13. Dave in Florida

Dave in Florida New Member

Scott Thornburg or Woody English with the BB of Battle Creek both have very nice cornet sounds.

14. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Our Principal. Wonderful tone. Makes you weep just listening.

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Don't do that!! Then you'll have reduced your tmp to about 5% of what it was and probably not log on at all.. I only come on here to catch up with the latest drivel..

16. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

James Fountain - GUS. Absolutely stunning sound. Not even the finished article yet but his sound and tone is just world class already.

Kirsty's got a world class sound as well with us, but to be honest i think that's pretty common knowledge so i'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned as much as i would expected.

17. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Agreed on both counts.

James' sound is like glass. That seems a stupid was to describe it, I know, but it's the best I can do. It's so pure and classy, I'm very, very jealous.

18. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Here here..

19. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

...or hear, hear? ;-)

agreed

20. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Played with Jackie couple of weeks ago at a meeting with Bo'ness SA Band. He is still a fine player. totally unassuming, and a very special talent in his day. Lovely man