Who are the cornet players with the nicest sound????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sionowz, Jul 13, 2004.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

He is handy with a pair of wicketkeeper gloves too! :clap::biggrin::wink:

2. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

If you'd been in Horsham today, you would have heard him play. He is 3rd man down on the front row at Horsham Borough Band and a really amazing player, also a very, very, very nice guy. :)

3. xRinat

xRinat Member

With the nicest sound? Must be Richard Marshall.

4. Kjata

Kjata Member

THANK YOU!!! god why has there only been about 2 votes for him???
    COME ON PEOPLE lol!! :)

5. xRinat

xRinat Member

It is Richard for sure. After I heard him play the solo on Paul Lovatt-Cooper's new piece Immortal I was stunned.

6. Kjata

Kjata Member

He gives me lessons ever now and again and I always think "god he's good" lol! :)

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

Wow your lucky! I wanna have lessons with such a great cornet player!

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Steve Hill
    Amington Band ;
    The very best in any lower section band:clap:

9. bbg

bbg Member

Interesting "resurrected" thread this! So many ladies and gentlemen , past and present, with lovely sounds and of course veryone will have their personal preferences. Listening to many bands since being bitten with the banding "bug" big time in my early teens (ie early '70s), would have to mention Messrs Shepherd, McCann, Morrison and Marshall, whilst from the SA side David Daws, Philip Smith, Deryck Diffey amongst others. Thinking of Diffey, how about the late Art Dean of the Bearcroft era Canadian Staff Band? A long time "second chair" man , but what stamina and what a pure sound! Also as a youngster one man who really impressed and inspired me was John (Jackie) Spowart of Bo'Ness SA - a no-fuss, no theatrics, pure and musical player who played purely for SA purposes week in, week out. There are no doubt countless more like him out there - not "big names" but folks who others appreciate and are inspired by to play.

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

And you've heard every single cornet player in every single lower section band have you?

11. its_jon

its_jon Member

I never understood what all the fuss was about with RW. Too Clinical. The recordings speak for themselves side by side.... JS. in a superior league.
    and McCann. always sounded too wobbly to take seriously, the frailty of tone would appear to be endearing for some however.

As most people seem to rate these three..... Here is my take
    Webster or McCann don't make my top 20.

No. 1. James Shepherd.... has never yet been surpassed.

I would probably place Russell Gray above Webster but again Russell would still not make my top ten.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. HornMaster

HornMaster Member

Just had a quick look through most of the posts here and there are some great players mentioned. I'm surprised though that Brian Taylor of Fairey's hasn't been mentioned more often. Having said that, when you're talking about players of this standard there are very fine margins from one persons preference to another.

13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I was listening to some old YBS CDs the other day, and I'd almost forgotten what a great sound Stuart Lingard had. His recording of "Bells of Peover" is lovely to listen to. And right the way through "Hymn of the Highlands" he sounds fantastic.

Is he playing anywhere at the moment?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dyl:
    Have you as well????????

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Errrm no - but it wasn't me making the sweeping statement, was it?

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No;
    but comments are not really called for by you after a post as been put on the thread!!!

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Can someone please translate the above for me? Ta.

18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I cant translate it but its another nonsense post from the baritone supremo!

19. leisa

leisa Active Member

If he didnt say it I would have. Seriously someone was bound too!

Doubt it!

20. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I've stuck it into babelfish and free-translation - it's not happening.

I've not heard many cornet players at all.... but I do like the Jason Evans' sound (I think that's him - principal of Marsden?)