Whitsun Wakes Recordings.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Does anyone else have a problem hearing the ppp bits at the start, and subsequent quiet moments?

I have a surround sound system, and if I turn it up loud enough to hear the quiet bits at the start, anything mp and above deafens me!

My sound settings are all on full.

I know that's how it's written, but it's a shame that I can't hear over a minute of music in total! It's just silence.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That's a sign of a good recording and possibly a good playback system when not too much compression has been used to compensate for general use! You will have to stick with it I'm afraid!

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have got 2 first class recordings both conduted by Nick Childs Fodens&Black Dyke super openings on them both + the real quiet playing is just TOPDRAW from both bands yet it sounds so full .
    Its hard to say which is the best out of the 2 recordings its a matter of opinion ;
    What does anyone else think?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I preferred the Festival Of Brass performance in it's uncut version ... the piece makes better sense if you hear it all!

5. jim

jim Member

I love this peice whats the festival of brass recording can you buy it? I prefer the ybs performance personaly Iwan Willaims and peter roberts are sheer class, anyone know if you can get recordings from Blackpool for this years grand sheild?

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Something that didn't happen after 1991/92 unfortunately was consideration for banders to get highlights of the series on disc. Usually the programme was aired early afternoon on a weekday and if you were lucky enough, you could listen to new commissions, favourites and neglected works. It would have put Prague in a completely different light before it was used for the areas. Whitsun Wakes was premiered in 1997 by Dyke and James Watson conducting.

post edit:- now when I think of it, the broadcast might have been independant from the series. If my memory serves me right, Dyke played Prelude For An Occasion (Gregson), In Memoriam R.K. (Howarth), Ragtimes & Habaneras (Henze) and Oliver Cromwell (Gheel) for the Fest. in 1997. That would take up the allocated 60 min. broadcasting slot! :redface: (... the full Whitsun Wakes lasts about 19mins or so)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This problem is often caused by the extraneous noise which is part of modern life. Fridges, water pumps, computers and hi-fi systems humming and whirring, distant air and motor traffic, air flow and the wind whistling - all things which, with familiarity, the ears and brain filter out and which you simply end up not noticing. Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a power cut and thinking "isn't it quiet"? It's because all those electrical labour saving devices around the house have stopped humming, throbbing or whatever else they do.

Try listening with headphones. If the problem disappears, you will have your diagnosis.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's more than likely a combination of Brassneck and James' diagnoses.

'Classical' music and (most) brass music will tend to be recorded retaining its full dynamic range (or very close to it). Other genres tend to be compressed, sometimes very heavily - which has the effect of squashing the dynamic range such that the quiet bits appear louder.

So if you take the first instance of very queit bits, put that in the vicinity of a fridge....and the quiet bits disappear.

Radio broadcasts are the culprits for making us forget about dynamic range. When a CD is broadcast on the radio it undergoes all sorts of processes, one of which is transmission compression - so what you hear on the radio isn't (usually) the same as you hear from the CD. If you get used to hearing things through the radio, it can sometimes be a bit of a shock to hear things 'properly' and as the engineer intended.

9. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I am sat about 10ft from a fridge freezer.

That may have something to do with it!