Whitehaven Contest 2005

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by 3 bent valves, May 16, 2005.

1. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

Does anyone have the results from yesterday's contest in Whitehaven? I can't find them anywhere.:confused:
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

yep but only from memory:

5th section: Whitehaven brass Eric Ball Divertimento

4th Section:
    1st : FIVE RIVERS BRASS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :clap: Divertimento B Kelly

3rd Section:

1st: Dearham
    2nd: Pilling Jubilee
    3rd: FIVE RIVERS BRASS :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tup:tup A Saddleworth Festival Overture
    4th: BMP Goodshaw

2nd Section:

1st GT Group Peterlee
    2nd: Dearham - I think?

1st Section: Jonstone
    2nd Section: Blackburn and D
    3rd Section: Tintwhistle
    Easington Ellington

Thats only from memory so please correct me if im wrong
  3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Well done FRB - we are a super band when we want to be ;)
  4. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I am had a fantastic day playing twice for my band and rep for Ellington too. Was a long day but really exciting.
  6. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

Hey, congrats to all in Dearham for an excellent showing at Whitehaven.........1st in the 3rd section and 2nd in the second section....not bad going.....and a good day out !!..:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
  7. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

a good contest with a very friendly atmosphere, it would be nice to see more bands supporting this very well run event.
  8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Yeah, I always used to enjoy Whitehaven contest, especially the bus trip back across the country on the A69... aaah, those were the days. It was 1st contest I ever won as a player. (OK, so we only won section 4 but who cares?!!)

Congrats to all prizewinners!
  9. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not a bad day out....playing 2nd baritone....C'MON!

Only heard the 1st section and all the bands played well, although for me Johnstone where miles ahead with a very strong performance of Endevour(sp?) keep an eye out for them at the nationals!

Well done to Ellington, the band played very well and gave a convincing performance of Resurgam...not easy to do!
  10. Dave Jaybee

Dave Jaybee New Member

This is a great wee contest with good prize money and it amazes me how few bands go, especially in the lower sections, so come on it needs your support. Really enjoyed playing Endeavour. Wonder why you don`t hear it more often.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Official Results for those who don't know (... from BBW)

Results of the Cumbrian Brass Band Association 20th annual Whitehaven Brass Band Festival held Sunday May 15.

Adjudicator Raymond Tennant.

First Section:

1. Johnstone (Gavin Lindsay) 192
    2. Blackburn and Darwen (Nick Shepherd) 191
    3. Tintwistle (David Shutter) 189.
    Second section:

1. GT Group Peterlee (Barry Holden) 188 1,
    2. Dereham Band (Mark Condron) 187 2,
    3. BMP Europe Ltd Goodshaw (D W Ashworth) 186 3.
    Third section:

1. Dereham (Mike Condron) 185 1,
    2. Pilling Jubilee Silver (B. Harper) 184 2,
    3. Five Rivers Brass (Colin Harris) 183 3.
    Fourth section:

1. Five Rivers Brass (Colin Harris) 182.
    Fifth section (for unregistered Cumbrian bands only):

1. Whitehaven Brass (Gary Williams) 176 1.
    Graded Bands were permitted to also enter one section above their own grade.

12. horn-y-dude

horn-y-dude New Member

13. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

Don't like to be picky !!! but its DEARHAM, and our MD is MARK CONDRON...grand chap, and working wonders with the band.:tup

Keep up the good work lads n lasses :p :clap: :p u know hu u r !!

the horns are fantastic lol xx

and added congrats to Whitehaven Band in the 5th section, well done. Congrats also to Gary their MD who is actually Dearham's Solo Baritone....keep up the good work Gaz.:clap:
  14. cazszandurski

cazszandurski New Member

yeh we know the dearham horns are fantastic....as usual!! :)
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... erm, I only copied/pasted directly from BBW website! (don't shoot the messenger blah blah blah sorta-thing...) :frown:
  16. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

sorry, "brassneck", bit proud of the guys n gals and wanted all to know who they really were....

the horn section are a real delight, some are pleasing on the eye too ......... ... lol x ;)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

.... where's the photos? :cool:
  18. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

leave that one with me.... see what i can do !!
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:tup .... will wait and see! :p
  20. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

thanks for your positive comments. we were a bit worried that the adjudicator, who was an an ex md of the band ,would be seen to be less than impartial by some of the punters but thankfully this does not seem to be the case. an admirable outcome as i know this adjudicator to be a man of impeccable credentials.'
    thank you to the many spectators who congratulated on the band's fine performance.
    as i have already said on this site this is an extremely well run and friendly contest which i would urge more bands to attend.