White Christmas - What Year?

Discussion in 'Thread Games & Totally Random...' started by Charmed, Dec 28, 2005.

When will we get a White Christmas

1. Next Year

4 vote(s)
  2. 2-5 years

1 vote(s)
  3. 6-10 years

1 vote(s)
  4. Never

2 vote(s)
  5. Don't Want One

0 vote(s)
  1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Is it me or is Mother Nature 'teasing' us every year. I can't remember when we last had an actual White Christmas (Christmas Day). I love the snow, only when I'm sat in the house with all the Christmassy lights, nibbles, and booze though!

Each year I pray it will snow on Christmas Eve, stay beutiful and white Christmas Day and Boxing Day and then disappear when it's back to normal on the 27th.

With each year, the snow seems to get closer and closer to the 'day' but never actually appears.

Would you like a White Christmas? What year do you think we will get it? Or do you hate the snow (bah humbug) and hope it never snows on Christmas Eve/Day?
  2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Error in Poll

Should say 6-10 years!!

Don't know how to alter it!
  3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

probably never :(
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Poll Sorted!

Most parts of the country did get a coating of the white stuff LAST year, and this morning in Shropshire we've woken to a very hard frost (white over, but not snow!) Having heard the weather forecasts on Christmas Eve didn't the East coast have some heavy snow on Christmas Day?

5. Fitzy's GF

Fitzy's GF Active Member

Not sure if this is specific to the UK but I predict unless the seasons turn complete topsy turvy we will never have a white christmas in Melbourne!! We will have to travel overseas to experience that one.

Christmas Day to me is a nice hot day where we are able to play backyard cricket!
  6. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I definately remember we had a white christmas last year, we had quite a few heavy showers i seem to remember that made it very picturesque.

Probably means we wont get another for about 20 years!:icon_sad:
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Living near Doncaster (about 50-60 miles from the East Coast) I don't recall snow last Christmas Day, however, I may be wrong, age thing you know?

Definitely did not get snow this Christmas Day - it started 27th, just a scattering, but it was the 28th that we woke up to a beautiful white, picturesque scene, with lots of snow flurries throughout the day. Still here this morning, but the freezing fog has made it rather treacherous!
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It is very rare to have a white Christmas, and always has been. Apparently there were a couple of white Christmas's during Charles Dickens' lifetime, and he wrote about them in some of his books which has given a white Christmas the romantic status that it has today. If Dickens hadn't written about it, we probably wouldn't be hoping for one each year! :icon_biggrin:

Still, I agree that it would have been nice - maybe next year!!!