Whit Marches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 1alexm, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 1alexm

1alexm Member

My band is wanting to go - and i have no idea what whit friday is. Is it just a march contest? Will someone please explain to me what actually happens?
  2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The link below has most of the details you will need Alex

It is basically a series of contests around the Saddleworth & Tameside areas of Oldham where you play a march to the contest stand, which is sometimes marked for deportment, then you'll play a contest march on the stand which will be marked by closed ajudication.
    You travel around the various venues in a bus, and if there's a bit of a queue for where you want to play, you can either, carry on and go elsewhere, or move to another venue.
    There are well over 100 bands on the circuit, and the popular venues like Dobcross or Delph will get through 60-70 bands.
    It's a great evening out, and if you are really lucky, you can catch some of the big bands. In my first Whit Fridays in 2003, the tMP band followed a couple of bands after Grimethorpe I think, and Black Dyke followed us.
    I think that's about it in a nutshell!
  3. 1alexm

1alexm Member

Thanks. Sounds fun.
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It is - so long as it isn't raining ;)

Stephen missed out the bit about the adjudicators sitting in caravans or upstairs in an adjacent pub with the window open :D
  5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

So I did!
    You've got to wonder how they can hear the bands properly at some of the venues!
  6. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Im lucky enough to have a friend who stays in Stalybridge, so am planning to go to Whit Friday for first time ever!!

Basically, where is best place to go? Any advice you may have would be fabbbbbby!

7. KMJ Recordings

Personally, I prefer the Saddleworth contests - so I'd be looking at Dobcross, Delph or Uppermill YMMV. They'll be mobbed, though.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The Saddleworth contests are a bit more scenic but there are some good ones local to you including Denton Cricket Club, Ashton FC and (in the 'bridge itself) the Labour Club and Stalybridge Celtic FC
  9. KMJ Recordings

It depends what you're looking for.

IME the 'bigger' Bands do tend to gravitate towards Saddleworth (and I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion ;) ) - if you're looking for an all round Whit Friday Experience that takes on the full range of Bands, I'd head that way rather than towards Tameside...but you've got the problem of getting there (and back!) from Stalybridge which won't be easy.
  10. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Just looking for the best all round experience!! Although i may consider playing with the TMP band to get that.........think it may curtail the sampling of the local ales.... ;-)

Keep the advice coming - is it really going to be that difficult for us to get from Stalybridge to say Uppermill on the day??

11. KMJ Recordings

In which case, I'd definitely head for somewhere like Delph :) (from a spectator's perspective).

The problem with the travel is that there are a lot of traffic diversions and things that can affect everything - one way systems, public transport diversions and so on. If you go early enough, you should be ok but bear in mind that parking is restricted, and you can sometimes get stuck in long queues. The best thing to do is to get hold of Oldham Police and ask them - they've always been helpful to me.

Obviously, you only get the full experience by playing ;)
  12. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

:clap: :biggrin: :bounce
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Hehe, Young Vic's getting all excited already :D

Its good, maybe not the best thing ever but its as close as you get in the banding calender.
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I got to see YBS twice last year (and Brighouse once) at Saddleworth...which was fantastic!!!

In fact, I think the missus and I will make the longer journey to go this year!!
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

I refer you to the sign up thread sir!!!
  16. Di

Di Active Member

And it just HAS to be experienced with the tMP Band eh Steve?. ;)
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

And more on topc Di, you mssed the chance to add a link there which is unlike you!!!!!!!!
  18. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

uh, you say you refer us to the sign-up thread but i don't see a link?
    come on, help me out here, i haven't been around for a while. you've moved things.
  19. Di

Di Active Member

You'll find the tMP Whits sign up thread here. ;)
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

As Di is slacking I will duly oblige. HERE is the discussion thread and HERE is the sign up thread :D