Whit Friday

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by whitewitch, May 28, 2015.

1. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Which bands are out on Whit Friday? Or not out? Any bands from other countries to look out for?

It looks like it is going to be rainy :(

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Simon Kerwin
    Diggle
    Whit
    Dyke
    Oidham 1st Diggle 2nd
  3. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

East Coast Brass from Norfolk will be there - as will Abbey Brass from Abingdon and a Stag Do scratch band from London/Essex (not sure what theyre called). I also know Lostock Hall from NW are out as well
    According to BBC weather it will probably be a bit wet for the Walks but should be OK for the contest in the afternoon.....fingers crossed

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

keep an eye out for Thriller Brass

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'll be out with the Tartan Massif. Two bass trombones this year, oh dear...

BBC Weather seems to be predicting that the Tameside circuit will get soaked later in the evening, but Saddleworth will be okay... After an initial wetting at tea-time.

6. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I will be wearing green gold and black. As the Americans say 'go figure'

7. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

As the day rapidly approaches and unfortunately the weather looks poor, I can only say that I hope all those bands and individuals who take part enjoy it, regardless of getting soaked or not. If you win a prize as well, it makes it even better of course, but just do it for the fun of it.

8. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I have been doing as you say, winning, not winning, melting, freezing, drowning etc for 40 ish years or more. It is still the greatest band day / night in the world

9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Looks like the weather has smiled upon the proceedings as it is fine and still a little sunny even at this hour.

10. tallyman

tallyman Member

I see Black Dyke were willing to break the rules at whitfriday to gain an advantage over the the other bands..........well done guys very sporting!!

11. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I saw them at Delph. Shame they will have disqualified themselves - (too many players, using percussion).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Simon Kerwin
    Diggle
    Whit
    Dyke
    Oidham 1st Diggle 2nd
  13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

They broke no rules at Delph that I could see. Just an excellent performance.

14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

The results are out for Delph. Top 3 bang on for me. Pleased for Milnrow - I thought they might get a place, but I thought the Kings division might have been there too. Good performance from them very early on. Shows what I know

15. tallyman

tallyman Member

Who mentioned Delph ?? Has it happened they did break the rules at Delph. Band 76 registered as band 60 was playing it was well before 10:30, then Delph contest started not allowing bands to register. Dyke registered as band 71 telling the registration the band was there, when actually they were still competing at other contests elsewhere Naughty Naughty massive favour.Then they did'nt even manage to get to Delph to play band 71 that they had lied to register for, instead they turned up as band 75 and a*se licked their way in, and it was the prof in full a*se lick mode.It was more sickly than than the yellow tie and Dale Winton fake tan look he was sporting.

16. tallyman

tallyman Member

How do I know I can trust this post to contain accurate information.In a previous post you stated "Dyke did'nt cheat at Delph" remeber the boy who cried wolf ??

17. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Aahh your complaint is about "Runners" a fine whit Friday tradition! BUT the rules are (at Delph) -

2 - Bands signed in and ready to play when asked.
    4 - final signing in - 10:30pm

Nowt about sticking to an assigned place number.

And as a listener would I have been disappointed if they weren't there? Yes I would.

Also at the ring you cant 'see' the registration area so my statement was true - "...no rules that I could see..."

18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

If you look at the sort of high profile engagement that Dyke normally undertake then I think it's fair to say we are very lucky that they deign to participate in Whit Fridat at all. Why on earth should they also have to spend the night queuing up behind a plethora of lower section, scratch, and otherwise dross bands? If we can't bend the odd rule to allow banding royalty such as Dyke and their illustrious MD to sweep majestically through Saddleworth then it shows how small minded we are becoming. As for the MD's tie and tan combo, they are nothing more or less than the trappings of success, and I'm sure many of us would certainly be sporting a perma-tan and jazzy tie if we were even half as succesful as the dctor/professor or whatever he is now.

19. tallyman

tallyman Member

On reflection I think you are correct in your assessment of the situation. To be fair "sweep majestically" he did, resplendent in his navy blue suit with tie and tan combo. And why should a man with letters after his name take his place amongst the waifs and strays of the lower sections. They should indeed be pleased that they turned up at all.

20. tallyman

tallyman Member

I see Dyke were placed 14th at Diggle contest behind several second section bands, were Dyke really 12 places worse than Diggle band who finished 2nd ?? I did'nt here either of the bands but find it Quite difficult to believe..........I could maybe believe 4 or 5 places worse but 12 !! Does announcing to the spectators (and adjudicator) that you are European champions at every venue before commencing playing mean nothing to you people ??

21. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Where can you get the full results?

22. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

The Diggle result is clearly just one of those anomalies that happen in contesting (assuming you are correct as I've not seen any results). It's an awful long time to adjudicate and the judges are only human after all. I've no idea who adjudicated this contest, but I'd imagine they would need a pint, smoke, had to take a phone call, or a toilet visit at some point, and in this case it just happened to be while Dyke were playing. As for 'announcing that you are European champions' I doubt there was an opportunity to do this, and even if there were then it was obviously wasted as the adjudicator was otherwise engaged, or had the integrity to put Dyke in 12th as their performance merited to his ears.