Whit Friday - Unusual Road Marches ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, May 10, 2005.

Traditional March or Fun?

1. Yes keep it traditional

20 vote(s)
  2. No lets make it fun

36 vote(s)
  1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

What different road marches will bands be using at this year's Whit Friday? Seen a few threads and having spoken to a few bands that are going I'll start the list off.

Road to Amarillo
    Bull's Eye
    Great Escape

Also heard last year
    Black Adder

Also what's the view on this should it be a traditional or fun march?
  2. timbloke

timbloke Member

BOC did Thomas the Tank Engine last year

our one (Rivelin Brass) this year is phenomenal.
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

The band wants to do Amarillo. I threatening to strike if they do. Every man and his dog will be doing Ama-chuffing-rillo!! I don't have a problem with playing a "fun" march. But please, not Amarillo. Especially not the horrific ******** arrangement!!
    (Edited following previous warnings about criticizing particular publishers/arrangers)

(Harsh words! That makes it sound like I have some sort of bad reputation for bashing *********!! I would like to state that I am NOT a serial ********* basher!! I just think the ********* arrangement of Amarillo is rubbish!!! GC)
    Last edited: May 11, 2005
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Is that the one usually sung on the Muppets? -

phenomena ....... nah nahaaa nah nah nah
    pehenomena .......na nan na na
    phenomena etc
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I did it a few years ago with a scratch band called 'Wuss Brass' and we marched to the Monkees theme tune. The year before I think they did the Stripper.

I'm sure I heard one band doing 'Sit on my face' one year too!
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member

I'm with you!! i know one band will defo be doing amarillo as i heard them do it at another march contest afew weeks ago..imagine being in a queue at greenfield & the 7 bands in front of you all march down to it?it just wont be good!!

I'd quite like to hear the A-Team make a comeback, the theme to police squad & naked gun would also be excellent!
    & for the more 'senior' members...how about going down the street to the mighty Quo 'rockin' all over the world'?!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2005
  7. davidsait

davidsait Member

If you heard a band playing 'Sit on my Face', then it was probably us.
  8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Police Academy march would be a good one
  9. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

david, know anywhere i can get an arrangement of that? for my band, obviously..............

10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I've marched down to Fraggle Rock before now and also Yellow Submarine (although that didn't work too well!)

I vote for Chorlton and the Wheelies theme tune - when I've finished Amarillo I'll do that for the alternative marchdown next week!!!!!!!

Rach x
  11. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Ive heard a band do Robbie Williams "let me entertain you" at whit friday before. I think it was hade edge
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

This is my first Whit Friday with Hade Edge, and although I'm not sure, I wouldn't be surprised if they did 'let me entertain you'!

We were thinking of Thunderbirds, but if a few other bands are thinking of it, then we might have to return to the drawing board!
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member

I heard Hade Edge play 'Let me entertain you' down the street at Holmfirth Contest & it was fab..really got the crowd going(especially Mr Bates on drum!)

I think you should consider Naked Gun theme this year, or my old fave 'The A-Team'!!

14. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Last Year with Boc.Brass we did three

Thomas the Tank
    The Muppets.
  15. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Last year played with Geurnsey Concert Brass, and we marched down to ""Simply the Best"" need to swagger, but a little beer helped that on:wink:
  16. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

One Whit Friday many moons ago now, our last stop was Roundthorn and we had done about 14 before that. It was pitch black and we had Grimethorpe behind us (last band on). For a laugh we decided to swap the street march for the contest march and set off marching to Ravenswood. The Grimey lot fell about laughing, and one of them shouted "******* hell, what you gonna play on the stand?!?!?! Symphony of Marches???". Really funny moment - made all the funnier because we couldn't actually see anything and most of us were playing from memory it was that dark! It was alright for Grimethorpe....they had miners hats on!
  17. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Thought about doing that last year with Boc. Brass in Delph, Mephi to march to and Thomas the Tank Engine on the Stand... Thought best not to ruin the traditions though... It's unfair...
  18. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

you know what, i'd love to see someone try and march to serenade...
  19. btrommatt

btrommatt Member

There's nothing wrong with a traditional road march on whit fri!

But did play theme to 'teletubbies' one year and 'Hawaii five-o'!
  20. Ali

Ali Member

Im already comtemplaiting suicide with the amount of times I reckon i'm going to hear "The way to flippin Amerillo this year"!!!!! Having said that, marching around to the teletubbies and the Imperial March from Star Wars was quite cool but it didnt help us win much! Having had words with one of the adjudicators last night, he said that they usually put these straight to the bottom of the pile as soon as they hear a "novelty piece"!