Whit Friday - Scratch Band

Discussion in 'Deputies Wanted' started by Wil, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

Two trombones and 2nd Euphonium required for Whit Friday (13th June) for a friendly Championship standard scratch band with players from Bon Accord Silver (Aberdeen), The Felling Band, Yorkshire Imps, Carlton Main etc. conducted by Stephen Malcolm. Coach leaving from Oldham (small cost, but let me know if this is a problem). Hotel available for players if required (at cost).

Contest March: Knight Templar
    Road March: Death or Glory

Does anyone fancy it? Or know anyone that might?

2. Wil

Wil New Member

Anyone?

3. Wil

Wil New Member

The requirement has changed to:

2nd Euphonium, 2nd Trombone, Bb Bass - Whit Friday (North West)

Name of your Band:
    Scratch Band (Bon Accord, Yorkshire Imps, The Felling Band, Carlton Main)
    Dates and Times: Friday 13th June, 2pm (rehearsal), 4pm (first contest)
    Venue: Whit Friday - Saddleworth
    Section you are graded: Championship/1st Section
    Standard/Grade of player required: Championship/1st Section
    Contact Details: PM or willmitton@gmail.com

4. Wil

Wil New Member

The requirement has changed to:

2nd Euphonium, 2nd Trombone - Whit Friday (North West)

Name of your Band: Scratch Band (Bon Accord, Yorkshire Imps, The Felling Band, Carlton Main)
    Dates and Times: Friday 13th June, 2pm (rehearsal), 4pm (first contest)
    Venue: Whit Friday - Saddleworth
    Section you are graded: Championship/1st Section
    Standard/Grade of player required: Championship/1st Section
    Contact Details: PM or willmitton@gmail.com

5. boourns

boourns Member

Just about every band I'm aware of are struggling to fill all of their seats for Whit Friday. Do you not think 'your' players would be better employed offering their services to these bands rather than forming a pop-up band and merely adding to the clamour for deps?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. Gadgie

Gadgie New Member

No. It sounds like most of the band are making the long trek down from Aberdeen so they'll be travelling down together, doing the contests together and probably staying over for a night or 2. That's a completely different experience from popping in to play with somebody else's band. If they weren't coming as a group, I doubt many would be there at all so it still wouldn't solve others' gaps.

Good luck to them. I'll look forward to hearing them there, especially with Steve Malcolm taking them.

By the way, what name do we need to look out for?

7. Wil

Wil New Member

As you say Gadgie, the band wouldn't split up given the nature of the merging of the bands we have together. I'm sure we will get sorted either way.

We're not sure on a name... this will be discussed in the pub on Thursday night! We're thinking either something like 'Bon Voyage' or 'Orterby Band'.

8. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

It also sounds like they are doing better for players than many other bands already going out! Maybe these other bands should split and help this scratch band??

;)