Whit Friday Results?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by budstellabecks, May 17, 2008.

1. Someone must have some by now?

.. or am I being a little too eager?
  2. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

Results from Delph - I think

Sop Skelmanthorpe B
    Cornet Rothwell
    Basses/Euph Hepworth
  3. Trumpetboy

Trumpetboy New Member

1st Stockport Brass - The Wizard
    2nd Hebden Bridge - O.R.B
    3rd Fodens - The President

1st Section - Ashton
    2nd Section - Staylybridge Old
    3rd Section - ???
    4th Secion - Hazel Grove

Best Local - VBS Poynton

Best Cornet - Stockport Brass

Not Bad from memory and ****ed!! Good nite! apart from weather!!
  4. Posh

Posh Member

There's a rumour going around that Haslingden & Helmshore won the 2nd Section at Carrbrook. :clap:
  5. Carrbrook results from http://www.carrbrookbandcontest.co.uk/6.html

1st Prize - Faireys - £600.00

2nd Prize - Fodens Richardson - £300.00

2nd Section - Haslingden & Helmsford - £150.00

3rd Section - Elland Silver - £125.00

4th Section - Eccles Borough Band - £100.00

Best Local - Glossop Old Band - £60.00

1st Youth - Mossley Hollins - £60.00

2nd Youth - Sellers Youth Band - £50.00

1st Band To Play - Mossley Hollins - £20.00

Deportment - Cheshire Constabulary - £50.00

Wuhoooo... go Eccles !!!!
  6. Posh

Posh Member

It's Haslingden & Helmshore! We're quite precious over our name as it's never spelt correctly at Whit Friday, but thanks for the full results and where do you get your info from?
  7. Sorry about the typo. I just copied and pasted it from http://www.carrbrookbandcontest.co.uk/6.html and didn't check the spellings
  8. Posh

Posh Member

I know. I clicked on it and read the full listing. I was just yanking your chain! It's normally Haslindon & Helmshaw. And we're chuffed with that result. It's a pity that others aren't coming in as quickly to put us out of our misery.
  9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Some results on 4bars rest, and they spelled Helmshore correctly.
  10. Rambo

Rambo Member

Comments about early signing in are absolutely on the money. Wher buses have to follow the band through on two seperate occasions one particular band were pre signed in causing traffic gridlock as they had to get their bus to the front of the queue. In these contests, surely it would be better to have the registration at the point where the busses arrive and queue.
    Good night on the whole though apart from that.
    Maybe we should name and shame the bands and see if it is the same culprits in each contest?
  11. stop moaning rambo! just cos the bus driver had a deathwish!! my hair is a right mess this morning after all that rain at greenfield:redface:
  12. jamie m

jamie m New Member

Well done Faireys! Thats some going considering that we were told at 10-35pm that Delph was closed and they DEFINATELY could not allow any more bands through due to the police closing the contest. Your coach must have possesed mystical powers which allowed you slip in and to play at midnight!:clap: :rolleyes: Good to see fair play as always
  13. Heather

Heather Member

Well said!!

As I wrote on a previous thread.... at 2 villages the same Bands' name was being shouted as they were next to play...but hadn't arrived yet!
    Surely this should be the one event where its a fair playing field and all Bands compete equally whether yoiu are a school band or a Championship band.
    It would be nice to think that really happens wouldn't it............?
  14. Heather

Heather Member

.... forgot to add....

One member of my Band had a good idea last night (and I think it was before he was under the influences of alcohol!).
    Why not issue each Band with a token when they start. This token has to be handed in at each contest where you compete and you get it back after you have played there to hand it in at the next contest etc etc.
    This way you can only register your band to play AFTER you have finished at the previous contest.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
  15. critic

critic Member

Results Denshaw 52 Bands Played.
    1st Ybs
    2nd Brighouse
    3rd Hepworth
  16. Just heard we(Brighouse )have won six,one second and one 5th.I know we won Grotton,Greenfield,Greenacres and Dobcross.Dont know the rest.
  17. Acky1962

Acky1962 New Member

Now heres a question regarding the results that I hope somebody could answer for me. I have just looked at the results for Saddleworth on 4br.The results in so far include the placings at Delph which are..........

Delph 78 bands (equals record)

1st Rothwell
    2nd Faireys
    3rd Hepworth
    4th Marsden
    5th Rainford
    6th Mossley

Best non-championship Section:Haslingden and Helmshore
    Best 3rd/4th Section: Cheshire Constabulary

Best Local: Delph
    Best Saddleworth: Greenfield.

Question: How do the organisers manage to place Delph as best locals? Mossley are placed 6th overall but manage to miss the title "Best Local". How does that work? The rules and regs state that to qualify as a "local" band you must be within an 8 mile radius. Delph-Mossley 4.5 miles(approx... from mapquest). Anybody able to answer this???
  18. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Each band can only win one prize, as 6th is seen as a prize at Delph, best local goes to the next local band down.

How come the results for Tameside always seem to get published quicker than the Saddleworth ones?
  20. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Right, I don't normally get involved in things like this, but I'd just like to clear this up right away:

Faireys (coach and all members) arrived at Delph at 1045pm and joined the queue of coaches (at the back). We checked in as per everyone else at the desk (in person) and were told alongside another band (University of Leeds I think) that the organisers would have to check with the police if another 2 bands could take part. The police said yes and so BOTH bands waited their turn and marched down as the last two bands. I have no idea what was said to other bands, but as far as I can see Faireys did everything by the book -we asked politely, no pressure was put on, no special favours (!) were called in and if the organisers had said no then that would have been that.

As for any other contests, the same procedure was followed (like every other band) - coach arrived, rep checked in, waited to play. I didn't see anything differ from this at any time - I can only guess that at Lees we arrived, checked in and then decided to move on as the wait was too long - perhaps the organisers had not got the message that we'd moved on and Faireys name was still called out and obviously we weren't there (but had been).

I always think twice about getting involved in these discussions, but people do read these things and take them as gospel without knowing full stories. Bands reputations and images are important (as I'm sure we all agree) so I thought this particular discussion deserved some clarification.