Whit Friday Marches 2004 CD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Raspberry, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Having deliberated where to put this thread, I decided to post in here.......if the Mods wish to move this to a more suitable location, please feel free to move it.

I was studying my latest edition of the Bandsman dated 28.08.04, I saw in the CD reviews that the Whit Friday Marches 2004 CD is available!!!

It gives the recordings of the bands that played at Delph, but sadly the tMP band is not on the CD!!! (cries)

However some of you will be pleased to learn that your band is on the CD, 16 bands are featured are:

Towneley High School band
    Lindley Band
    Old Silkstone
    Cartax Navi
    Audley Band
    Shirland Welfare Training Band
    Salvo Brass
    Carlton Brass
    Barnsley Building Society
    YBS Concert
    Brighouse and Rastrick
    Fodens (Richardson)

Roll on Whit Marches 2005 tMP! Lets try and get on the CD next year!
  2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I have to admit that I am quite surprised we are not on there considering how high we finished at Delph.
    It's not even as if Knight Templar is on the CD played by a band who finished higher than us :(
  3. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I would be very interested to find out why we (tMP) are not on the CD. Is it to do with the quality of the recording or is it something to do with scratch bands?

As Stephen pointed out - we did finish pretty high at Delph.
  4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Who did the recording at Delph?
    I don't know how feasable it would be, but they may still have our recording stored away somewhere which they could be willing to let us post somewhere on t'internet as an MP3. I'd like a listen to it though!
    After all, he who don't ask, don't get! ;)
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Who do I ask or speak to about this...? I am willing to contact whoever and see if we can get a copy of the recording...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The 2004 Whit Friday Marches CD is on the Doyen label.
    The decision as to who and what went on the CD was taken by Doyen.
    I haven't been at work for a couple of weeks but my memory tells me that the CD is not yet out but will be in a couple of weeks.
  7. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

That would be really good John - let us know how you get on.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yep, of course Abi. Carl has given me some details... I'll let you know as and when I find something.
  9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The article makes it quite clear that the choice of bands was nothing to do with the position of the competing band. Bands were chosen to give the listener a representative flavour of the whole event with a diverse selection of marches and a range of abilities. I think that is quite a brave and refreshing decision. Its great to see school bands and training bands get a bit of publicity and exposure. Besides, if they just went for all the top performences we would just have another CD of the top bands playing standard marches, which most of us have already got in our collections anyway.

Having said that our band are lucky enough to be featured on the CD so I wont be disappointed and will order a copy when its available.

If you were not lucky enough to see Foden's performance at Delph then buy this CD - you will be in for a treat - it was absolutely stunning.
  10. davidsait

davidsait Member

I contacted Doyen last year actually to try and get a recording of Warwick playing at Delph (it was memorable for a number of reasons). I even offered to pay for it, but they weren't willing (or were unable to) provide me with a recording.
    If you have any success, I'd be interested!
  11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm not doubting that, but I think that the tMP were unique at Delph, being the only band:

- to come together on the day from all over the UK and Ireland
    - never actually played together as a band before
    - have players from each of the 5 sections

Though, to be fair, I don't envy Doyen for the selection that they had to make and I'm sure they have their reasons so I won't argue!

I will look forward to listening to the CD when I get my hands on it as it is the only chance to hear what some of the other bands were like!
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i think you're forgetting the BOCs there matey :p
    we had all that plus thomas the tank... i cant even begin to imagine why passed the chance of putting thomas on their cd... it would have gone platinum!
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

True, good point, I'll get me coat..........

but we still beat you! ;)
  14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

only once :)
  15. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Sorry I forgot about the BOC's aswell!! Lets hope we can be on the same CD next year!
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Whit Friday 2004 CD

Can anyone help to complete the list of Marches played by each band - I've managed a few off the 4barsrest report

Towneley High (?)
    Lindley Band (?)
    Staffordshire (Ravenswood)
    Dobcross (?)
    Old Silkstone (Honest Toil)
    Cartax Navi (The Senator)
    Audley Band (?)
    Shirland Welfare (Army of the Nile)
    Salvo Brass (?)
    Carlton Brass (Contestor)
    Barnsley Building (Roll Away Bet)
    Hepworth (The Wizard)
    YBS Concert (?)
    Delph (?)
    Brighouse (Ravenswood)
    Fodens (?)

If you can fill any of the gaps I'll edit this post to complete the list.
  17. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Towneley High (Howitzer)
    Lindley Band (Viva Birkenshaw)
    Dobcross (Mephistopheles)
    Audley Band (Pendragon)
    Salvo Brass (The Red Shield)
    YBS Concert (Bramwyn)
    Delph (ORB)
    Fodens (The President)
  18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thank you Mr WorldofBrass
  19. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Woohoo! I'm on a CD! I always knew that our choice of a truly bizarrely named march no-one ever plays would pay off... :s
  20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That's me too then, I know there were 4 of us on bass but I seem to remember Pete had lost his 4th valve spring on the coach and spent most of Whit Friday miming and saying "steady, steady" - do you think we can hear that on the CD. :rolleyes: