Whit Friday - best place to watch/listen?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dave99, Jun 13, 2003.

1. dave99

dave99 New Member

I rather regretfully have to admit to never having been to the saddleworth contest (even though I only live about 20 minutes away!). So I am planning on taking a ride up tonight, but there are so many locations.

Do all the bands go to each village (I doubt it)? Is there any particular spot that I should aim for?

I would like to play one year if I ever get my act together and do a bit of practice :)

cheers

Dave.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    Dave
    Whit Friday - best place
    bit of practice
    saddleworth contest
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi Dave, cant help with places to watch or listen as this is the first time ive ever done it but im sure some one here will be able to help.
    also keep an eye out for tmp brass cose we have a band of our own going.
    if you see us come along and say hello :D
    perhaps you could join us WHEN we do it next year.
    ttfn

4. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

According to this page:

http://www.whitfriday.brassbands.saddleworth.org/winrs.htm

Delph is the best attended contest. Parking may be difficult, but it's a nice place, couple of good pubs there and bands like to finish off there. And there's the Bandsman Club too...

My other reccomendations would be Friezland for the chicken kebabs and stuff, but that's a 3rd and 4th section only contest (but it's also a good contest) and also Greenfields with Boarshurst club there.

5. dave99

dave99 New Member

is it possible to move between venues, or are you pretty much stuck where you are? (just thinking about traffic)

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Move about to sample two or three. You'll have to be patient - travel is difficult and bands take priority!

My own favourite is Dobcross where the enclosed location give best acoustics. Also (usually) very good hog roast and band club.

D

7. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Well I shall be attending Wem rehearsal so won't be listening but good luck to all who attend.

8. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Dobcross has to be fave but tonight as I'm going with a different group we are trying Delph.

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

dobcross and delph would have to be the two places to go...
    if you have a handy baseball bat.. try uppermill
    but for the atmosphere, not much beats dobcross late at night

10. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

All i have to offer, after tonight, is, BEWARE FLYING EGGS IN DELPH!!!

11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I enjoyed Denshaw last night, away from the drunken non-banders.
    I've certainly never played with the audience no more than a couple of inches away from me :? :?
    Uppermill was good in the Sun, with lots of people out on the green, though there was a bit of trouble up there at the end of the night from the drunken non-banders.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    Dave
    Whit Friday - best place
    bit of practice
    saddleworth contest
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Haha suprise :D
    new record year: no deaths at uppermill

14. dave99

dave99 New Member

well I decided on Delph last night (missed the flying eggs though!?) - nice spot. Some good bands but I soon got sick of hearing Ravenswood!

15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Were we that bad?????!!!!!

Rach x

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I wish the flying eggs had missed me!!

Embarassing white stains on my trousers for the rest of the evening, luckily my bar towel was in amongst my bass tubing, so cleaning up the mess wasn't too bad.

I think they were trying to get in my bass bell, but missed

stupid charvas!

17. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Yes Colin.....we'll have to take your word for it until the official report is published....

Rach x

18. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

I enjoyed the Whit Friday marches immensely being my first time ! i thought there was a good atmosphere at all of the villages we went to especially Dobcross at 11.30pm which was heaving !!!! 8)