Whit Friday 2016

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritoneosh, Dec 12, 2015.

1. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Hello

I'm thinking of entering our Youth Band into whit Friday next year. We've never been before but by researching it states that some villages only allow certain number of players to compete in a Youth Band. Can anyone tell me which villages are allowing up to 40 youth members as I don't want to turn up and tell some children that they're not playing (I'd like them to play in the Road MArch and the contest march part of the day)

Any information would be of help!
    Thanks

2. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

3. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I suggest you contact Bob Rogers via the Delph contest website or
    Delph band club as he is the Saddleworth chairman and knows the rules.
    Trevor Hughes

4. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks! Would he be able to help me out with the Tameside contests as well?

5. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

He will know who to contact if he does not not the answer.

6. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Tameside's website is here - Whit Friday Brass Band Contest

To be honest any contest will limit numbers - even for youth bands. They usually have larger numbers allowed than senior bands (25) on the stand, but seem to remember that 35 is the max. There is nothing stopping you going on with more, but you'll essentially be disqualified once you come off - I know one or two scratch bands that have ended up with mainly "D" against their name - with the only exceptions being where the marshalls havent counted the people round the stand. Less of an issue if you are going purely to experience the day - more of a problem if youre wanting to win a trophy

7. Euphonium Lite

The other solution is to rotate so that 5 players (if you have 40) have a rest. Depending on whether you have a reasonably even split across the band it means they only probably miss one contest march - and they can still play on the march down. May be more of an issue if you say only have a few troms euphs baris basses and horns, but millions of cornets - but there is no reason why you have to play with "Standard" formation

8. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Hello. Me again! Glad to say that we will be going to the Whit Friday for the first time ever!! Can't wait!

Just a quick question how much roughly is the entry fee to each village?
    Thanks!

9. Euphonium Lite

Good to hear you're going. You'll love it. Cant speak for Tameside but you're normally looking at 2-3 pounds per village - sometimes a little less (eg £1) sometimes a little more (around £5) but that should give you an idea of the costs

10. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks! Much appreciated

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    HelloI
    Youth Band
    Road MArch
    contest march