Whit Fri DC or not???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eupho1, Mar 10, 2011.

1. eupho1

eupho1 Member

Whit Friday DC or not? Can anyone give a definate answer to whether or not bands have to play a DC on Whit Fri Marches. If there is no DC or Fine printed on the march copy, do you finish at bottom as normal or do you have to repeat just for the Whit Fri Contest. I know this was discussed at length last year but without a definate answer.
  2. SteveT

SteveT Member

If there is a DC, play it without any repeats. If no DC, then finish bottom right hand corner as normal!

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

What he said.

Marches Generally follow minuet and trio form, so no repeats on DC is correct.

Of course some bands like to 'show off their stamina' by playing all repeats both times - which is a shame as it spoils the form and all it does is delay the next band on. If you haven't won by the DC, you're not going to, however many repeats you play.

And if you're playing Honest Toil or Mephistopheles, neither have a DC marked - and frankly both work better without one.

<steps off soap-box>
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Honest toil is... well... honest toil if you extend if further than it should be...
  5. rdixoncromcott

rdixoncromcott New Member

I think the query here is not so much as whether or not to play a DC, rather do the Whit Friday contest rules actually stipulate that there must be one irrespective of whether the piece has one written or not (the issue arose simply because someone thought there had been a recent rule change dictating that there be a DC with all repeats!). I think the earlier comments are absolutely correct - who wants to play the musical equivalent of 'War & Peace' at each venue? It's not only simple but sensible to do top left/ bottom right if that is how the piece is written - it has been performed properly and the adjudicator should deliberate accordingly without penalty. And then there would be the added problem of wasted band time and unnecessary queuing, but that of course is another matter ...