Whistling

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigHorn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

A colleague at work mentioned something about a radio interview he heard with a world champion whistler, who credited a large amount of his skill to techniques learned on a cornet.

A quick google later and I have come up with this guy David Morris who has played principal cornet and was Musical Director with many northern bands - anyone know him? - is he a tMPer?

http://davidmorris-whistler.com/home.html

Here is a listen again radio clip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listenagain/ram/today5_whistling_20040106.ram

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are audio clips of his 2004 CD recorded with the Scottish Co-op Band conducted by Raymond Tennant) on that site.

He started off with Saddleworth band and think he played with Woodfalls. His most recent inspired direction was the formation of the Node Hill School Brass Band.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

he hangs around Dobx band room alot

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I think that he used to play principal cornet for Dobcross.

5. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

He used to be an amazing cornet player, and now is an amazing whistler.

He is doing a spot with our band Vernon Building Society Poynton band tonight, at the plaza theatre in Stockport.

Whistling Czardas and Away in a Manger

twill be good

6. Ali

Ali Member

I know David quite well concidering I used to live about 2 minutes walk from his house. He used to be a regular at our shop as well.. He used to conduct me at Boarshurst Band and in his small piece band that he gets together every year on Xmas day. He played top man at Dobcross as well as being the cornet champion of GB. He was also MD of both Dobcross and Diggle bands. Almost every concert we did with him, he would do a bit of whistling. Thing is that he's now World Whistling Champion by default really as he never went back to defend his title! Not that I would hold that against him. He is really good.

7. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I put on the YBS Simple Gifts album this afternoon, and it has him whistling Troika. Named as "Whistling Soloist" Waheey!

It's quite impressive :cool:

8. wkt

wkt Member

I seem to remember (although my memory is a bit vague) that there was a Dave Morris who played cornet on some of the Virtuosi Band records in the late 70s early 80s. I think at that time he was conducting the Rochdale Band and was one of the few not listed with one of the top named bands. Is this the same man?

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. wkt

wkt Member

Thank you Brassneck. I was wrong about the conducting bit. He was obviously a cracking cornet player at that time to be part of that line-up.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    David Morris
    principal cornet
    work
    radio interview
    Musical Director
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I actually learned something about him ... I saw the advert for the CD with the Co-op but didn't bother checking up on him. Small world, eh?

(a wee bit off-topic, but I found a tMPer on the same Virtuosi cover ... can you guess who he is? ;) )

[​IMG]

13. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

It's Colin Hardy and I claim my £25!!!!!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: and :pig

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

While we're on the subject of whistling - and to digress a little - does anyone remember a concert at the RAH after the National Finals when Hanwell Band performed 'Stars and Stripes Forever'. I recall a band member, dressed as 'Uncle Sam', coming on stage and whistling the piccolo trumpet obligato. I admit it's going back a few years (early 1970's) but in those days it was certainly 'out of the ordinary' and was probably one of the early attempts at 'Entertainment'.

Anyone remember it?

;)

16. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

The pig is reward enough. :biggrin:

17. wkt

wkt Member

Yes I remember it. I think the first time I was at the Nationals was around 1977 and the last time was around 1982, so it must have been in there somewhere. I found it really entertaining, well done and after the standard of the bands and the soprano players in the contest I thought it was a clever thing to do. Thank you for that memory.

18. We did a joint concert with David Morris and Waitakere Band in Auckland town hall - I forget what pieces he whistled (mainly cos I was in the bar opposite, pleading with them to stay open past 9pm).......

Andy

19. Tack7

Tack7 Member

I was the Bb bass player on Davids first CD of whistling, it seemed to go down very well. I know there have been others since. You can get them from places like Dobcross Bandclub.

Simon

20. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Ronnie Barker?:wink:

Soz, Colin.