While away from home...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rach_Horn, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Having just returned from my first term at Salford i was thinking on the way home of the things that i miss about home while im away and the things im glad to be back for, How about everyone else...What do you all miss when away from home and what always makes it a nice return for you? :)

For me it's:

My family and friends and also my own bed and the peace and quiet of the countryside!

2. euphonium1214

euphonium1214 Member

I miss my friends when I'm away from home too... and my cat! :icon_rolleyes: xx

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

When I'm staying away from home with work, it is most certainly my kids... not nice only being able to speak with them on a darned telephone 150 miles away...

4. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I miss my doggy :(

5. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I miss my friends, family, and even my workplace! I really miss my band too...I love playing with Lympstone, but there's just something really special about St Agnes that makes it good to be back for Christmas! :icon_biggrin:

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think when you first go away to uni/move away from your parents home it is difficult. Just remember you will meet some of your best friends (for life) at university and over the next few years you really start building your own life and really growing up (not trying to be patronising!). Obviously you will always miss your family! I moved away to Uni, moved back for a year (although I didn't move back in home) and then moved away again. I live in Manchester now and Nottingham is really quite a drive! I just try to make sure that I keep in touch with old friends and spend some quality time with my family!

7. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i agree totally, i went to the local uni but made sure i moved out, don't think it would have been the same if i'd stayed at home and after now living back with my parents for 2 months i'm looking to move again, it's just not the same, i'll always enjoy the quality time i spend with my family but i need to become independent find out who i really am, my best mates will always be close to where i am and i have special friends that i will always keep in touch with but in the end i have to think about myself and my future (a big thank you to El Cid for making me realise all of this)

wherever you are just make sure you happy in your heart, don't try to kid yourself it's impossible

8. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I'm only ever away from home at nybb.. aand ermm.. I'm always glad to get back to -

1. Good food! :icon_cheesygrin:
    2. My own bed - Decent pillows and COVERS! WARMTH at night! lol :icon_rolleyes:
    3. No long que for the showers
    4. A lie in past 7 (although getting up to sing is worth it:icon_wink:)
    5. A place to plug in your hairdryer :icon_razz::icon_rolleyes:
    Anyone at NYBB will know how much it means to get back to them! lol! But you miss NYBB more than you miss those.. they're all part of a legendary week! :icon_razz::icon_cheesygrin:

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

A sofa and free food... In fact, eating free food on the sofa in front of a decent sized tv is the greatest luxury there is at the moment.

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

When I'm away from home (and I firmly consider Arran now to be my 'home') I miss my girlfriend (if she doesn't travel with me) the scenery, the people, and believe or not, the weather! I've never been a hot weather person and we don't get stifling, sticky, filthy summers like wot I used to experience in London! Wind, rain and (occasionally) snow! Suits me fine! (The south end of Arran had a White Christmas last year.... and I was in London missing it all!)

If Arran didn't have as much rain as it does, it wouldn't look so beautiful!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Salford
    peace
    friends
    bed
    way home
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

To appreciate home, leave.

To appreciate your family, leave home.

Twee, but true... :icon_biggrin:

13. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I seem to be the other way completely! I miss my uni life when i'm at home loads! I've been home a week and i'm ready to go back now! Despite not actually being home for more than 4 hours during the day in the lead up to xmas it just doesnt feel right! I should be in Exmouth with my housemates! Playing with my old band isnt even the same anymore!

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

The things you'll miss most about being at home is the fact that you can just lie around and do nothing whereas while your at uni you have to work hard, got to all your lectures....oh wait, scratch that! :D

No seriously its the little things and everything that I miss, as the old saying goes "theres no place like home"

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Family.... food... my dog.... (obvious stuff really eh).... 300 miles away from home and when some bad/sad things happen, you know, you just want ya mum! That's what I miss most....

16. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I miss all the usuals...home cooked meals, my own bed, and my mum for when things get a bit too much, but by now I can only take it for a short time. Once you get more used to living independently you can get to feel cooped up with your family.