Which Tuba?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Dec 6, 2011.

Which BBb Tuba

1. Besson Sovereign - Lacquer

2 vote(s)
  2. Besson Sovereign - Silver

2 vote(s)
  3. Yamaha Neo - Lacquer

4 vote(s)
  4. Yamaha Neo - Silver

5 vote(s)
  5. Other - please specify in post

0 vote(s)
  1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I'm looking for a good deal on a BBb Tuba but do not know which is best to go for; I've always played a Besson Sov. I've seen some good review on the Yamaha Neo so wondering which is best and who has a great deal.

What do you think I should go for? Where's best to go to for a great deal?
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Visit Dr. Tubas ( I think it's called, in Wales). He has lots to try.
  3. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Mr Tuba in Cwmbran is probably the one you're thinking of. :)

All the BBb players who I have spoken to who have played on the Yamaha Neo have said that it is far better than the Sovereign, but, as with all instrument purchases, the only way to choose the right instrument for *you* is to play on it yourself.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. pbirch

pbirch Member

the Yamaha Neo is impressive, and if I ever had to play the BBb tuba again, I would really like one, it just feels some much nicer to hold. you are not battling the instrument or trying to find a comfortable posture to play, it is just there. Lacquer or silver plate doesn't matter, that will be purely a personal preference
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

As an EEb player. Bundamba recently bought a Yamaha Neo and I got to have a play on it. I have played a few BBb's in the past and this was by far the easiest to blow. That is my opinion of course.
    I recently read a review by Dean Morley. His opinion was it's the best BBb tuba on the Market. I beleive the review may be on this site somewhere but am not able to find it.
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Part of the reason the Yam Neo is such a good tuba is that Simon Greswell had a big say in developing it - and if you combine that with Dean Morley's reccomendation, then it's got a stamp from two of the best BB players god ever put on earth. If I had the money to buy a new tuba for myself, It'd be a Neo.

I've done a couple of rehearsals on a lacquered Neo and more recently did a rehearsal on a silver one, and found almost no difference between them - they were both brilliant. A Neo makes you work hard, as it'll take all the air you can give and still laugh at you - but the rewards are there. The sound's great, the range is fantastic, and the low register is sublime. They've also got really short-action valves which aren't set miles apart like a sov, so the black notes aren't intrinsically hampered by the instrument.

Quite simply, it's the best BB I've ever played, but as the others have already pointed out it's what will suit you that's important, and not everyone's the same.

If you're buying secondhand, you can't really go wrong with a Sov, because they hold their value well, and even though they're the 'vanilla ice cream' of tubas they're none the worse for that. I played a sov for years at co-op, and you quickly get used to the little tuning foibles. Main thing is, get one with good valves, because the valves on sovs can be an issue.

If you can find one in good shape (and rumour hath it they do exist) some of the 60s and 70s imperial BBs are lovely. OK, rather different sound to a modern bass, and you'll need a narrow shank mouthpiece if the leadpipe hasn't been changed - but they blow so easily and freely that it feels like they're blowing themselves.
  8. Hove Edge

Hove Edge Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I can confirm the Neo EEb tuba should not take too long. Work is already underway.

9. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Hi Simon,
    Who's helping out with this one? As EEb players are slightly different beasts to BBb players. If Oren Marshall helped develop an instrument it'd be different in character to one Les or Jim might come up with - different again if it was Owen or Pat.
    What market is it aimed at?

Cheers Pal,