Which tenor trombone would you choose?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tromgod, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Could be in the market for a new tenor trom shortly if the band agree to purchase one but which should I choose?

I have always been a King tenor trom fan. They take some beating IMHO when it comes to quality of sound and rasping out the big stuff in terms of the sound not breaking up. I play my own 4B at present as my 3B was not coping well with my wrath but it has no trigger and Coventry Variations really needs a trigger in a couple of places.

So I ask for your input on the current instruments available in the market - what do you recommend?

P.S. Anything has got to be better than the band's own old Sovereign troms - absolute crap!!

2. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Strangely, despite my comments in the Bass Trom thread, I'm a big fan of Holton tenors. It's their Bass 'bones I'm not so keen on.
  3. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I've never actually seen anyone play a Holton tenor but I would like to give one a try.
  4. amgray

amgray Member

Holton tenor is OK - but no better than a King 4B. The sound is very bright.
    I always liked Conn 8 /88H and Bach 42/B (and variations) but apparently the mutts nuts for some pro players I admire is the Rath trombone from www.rathtrombones.com
  5. BFN

BFN Member

Can't really go wrong with a Conn 88H. Though if you want a particularly BIG sound, you could always go for a Bach 42 (the end crook on the slide of a Back 42 is actually the same size as the 50B bass trombones - so the sound is massive, but bneeds a lot of support). Are you playing 1st or 2nd?
  6. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

One of the first trombones i got was a Holten. Still have it but have switched to use the bands Edwards!! Whilst it is much more of a blow, I find the trigger a lot easier to work with, which is always useful for a second trombone player!
    would like to try a Conn 88H but can't afford to buy one, and don't know someone who could lend me one!

The one to ask on such matters is Bones, he knows almost everything about them!!!!!
  7. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'm surprised you've not seen the Holtons around. Loads of bands spent their hard earned lottery grants on them a few years ago.

Strange how personal opinion is so divided though; I've never been able to get on with the Conn troms and the only King I could get to grips with was a tiny small bore tenor I used to use for Jazz work. I've not played the Bach tenors, but all of our bands troms are Bach (including the Bass I'm currently using). The valves are very maintenance intensive and the Bass needs a huge amount of air to keep any sort of sound going
  8. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

At the moment our solo trom plays a Conn, I play on an Edwards and the Bass torm plays on a Holten. Might be tempeted to swap back to my Holten after the area, can get a nice sound out of it and is easier to work with (but thats just me being lazy!!!!) there are plenty of other trombonists using them!!
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I love my trombone...

It's a Conn 88-HO, and it's loooooverly... only problem is with the trigger throw being a bit long so you might want to go for the flashy CL2000 model.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

The Conn 88H is an excellent trombone, especially if you hunt around and try and pick up one of the old elkhart models. I used to have one and have regretted selling it on several occasions. The new 88H lindberg models are good though. I just bought a new Yamaha from Normans and am so unbelieveably impressed with it. The Bousfield model is superb and I am most taken by it, and for the price (£999 brand new although that was 1/2 price) it is one of my greatest ever bargains. Depending on your budget, a Rath is probably a better bone but I couldnt justify that sort of money for something i get out twice a week!!!
  11. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

If you have the cash go and see Rath (I'm going to pick up my R4 on Sat :D ).

Otherwise I would go for a Conn 88H of one type or another. A word of caution here (and this applies to all other makes as well) - find a supplier who has plenty of stock and try as many different slides and bells as you can. When I bought my current trombone (88HY) I tried about 20 instruments and they varied greatly. Some 88H's were to be honest pretty duff, whereas the one I bought responded very well.
  12. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I play 1st on my King, our 2nd plays a Vincent Bach & our bass plays an old Sovereign ( :hammer ). I suppose it would be good to match up the instruments in an ideal world. Neither of the tenors have a trigger which can be a problem at times, especially on the 2nd part.
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yeah I just can't really play without a trigger anymore.

The 88H CL2000 is really good, I think Lindbergs input as really improved that instrument.

If you've got the cash I'd say Rath R4F or Edwards T350-E and if you're feeling really flash and fancy a trip to the states get measured up for a Shires.
  14. Bones

Bones Member

Becky is right about one thing, I am a bit of a Conn freak having now owned in the past about 7 of the beautiful things. Current favourite if my Conn 8H Elkhart (bout '66 or '67 will age it one day) Find it the most comfortable instrument to play for me. I have a few others knocking around as well.

I've tried and owned quite a few troms in the past and always find myself going back to Conn's. I had an Edwards, which was a fine trombone but becasue it is a custom, I found myself trying to replicate what I already had in the Conn, so back to Conn. I had a Rath R4 which was a nice bone and very comfortable to hold. I bought it second hand but I found it to be a little woofy sometimes. Chatting to Jonny Beatty of Grimethorpe, he had a few modifications to the one he plays on so maybe that is the answer. If you are buying a new one Mick Rath will work with you to get the best combination. King 4B Urgghhh! Just not for me. Yamaha Bousfield. The build quality is excellent on these things, but they all seem a bit the same to me. Bach's. Great instrument big sound, lot of hard work and you need to be on top of the instrument every day. Brett Baker raves about the new Sovereigns that he plays on, don;t know if they have been developed further yet though.

I am a bit biased cos Conn is the bone for me, it works well, and is more comfortable ones to play.

My twopennorth for what it is worth.

15. Bones

Bones Member

No you won't :wink:
  16. Bones

Bones Member

17. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I am glad that nobody has suggested a Jupiter yet, anyway.

The Conn seems to be very popular still I note. I often think that these things go in trends and a particular instrument is chosen by many bands for a period of time.

I remember many bands having the old silver Sovereigns in the late 80's. How bad an instrument was that? Awful to play, heavy and weighted wrong and a trigger that felt like a steam valve. Nice!!!

I think the band may have issues with me going to USA for the Shires, though!
  18. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Agreed - I think the edwards is starting to work well for you in band Becks. Don't know what its like in other playing situations though?
  19. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

You can buy Shires in the UK from Phil Parker down in London, but I'm not sure what kind of stock he carries.
  20. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Trust you two to gang up on me!!!! :roll:

Other playing situations....does that include practise? :shock: :wink: