Which tenor Horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidwalton, Sep 13, 2006.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

2. TimMizon

TimMizon New Member

I like Yahama Tenor Horns! Depends what you get to be honest. The other day I went to buy a 602 Maestro Yamaha Horn and It was better out of these instruments I played, York Eminence and Besson Sovereign.

3. GregJ

GregJ New Member

Get a Besson Sovereign you can't go wrong (well YOU can...but, you know what I mean)

4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I have now bought a round stamp Sovereign, which is what Mrs mittens really wanted all along. But the B+S interested me, looked like a nice instrument - and i hadn't heard much about it.........
    Thanks
    :)

5. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I've played a Willson with a main slide trigger for 3 years come Christmas 2011 (see earlier posts on this thread). My recommendation? If you have the extra £800ish, get one. The horn has a big fat sound, plays like a dream and is in tune throughout its range.
    I use the trigger often - the same note can vary a lot depending on the instrument I'm trying to match at any given time. Good players don't need triggers? C**p. Try holding a top C# or D at the Albert Hall under pressure during a cadenza. If the note comes out a little sharp even the best players aint gonna lip it down without falling off - safer to give the trigger a bit of a squeeze.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I don't have a trigger and don't need one with my current instrument.

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I bow to your superior skills. I don't believe you about your current instrument though. I've never played a totally "in-tune" instrument and neither have you (go on, admit it!).
    Have a listen to recordings of Red Priest at The Open and consider how many top class horn players are sharp around the top of the staff during the slow solo. I hear this kind of stuff going on all the time.
    You must be truly exceptional. I applaud you.

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

no need to bring the sarcasm, I stand by what I said.

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

I agree with Aidan. I've spent enough time on an instrument without a trigger to know where to lip up and down.
    And let's face it, if you can hold a top C# or D, then I'm sure you're good enough to lip a little!

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm with Aidan too.

11. worzel

worzel Member

But what about a low C#? Don' tell me you can play that with good tone and in tune without a trigger.

12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Sarcasm? Moi? Have a listen to some of the horn cadenza top Ds at RAH. Lip down or squeeze? TRIGGER!

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah heard a fair few, weren't most lipped up rather than down? not met many horns with a sharp D.
    I played the one with the C on the day, but always lipped the D up on the other one.

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Aidan, the man plays a Willson, of course he needs a trigger. ;)

15. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Didn't hear you, sorry. The one I remember is absolutely superb though he/she fell off the D when seeming to need to lip down. I'm not going into any more detail than that. I will say once again, though, that you are talking cack when it comes to triggers.
    Rapier? Ever even laid eyes on a Willson?

16. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

Alyn,
    I have been following this thread with great interest BUT dont consider it "absolutely superb" when someone falls off a note during a performance! :confused:

Now back on thread!

Aidan,
    How do you find the top G on your Neo?
    I find it sharp, also mention in the Neo road test on 4 BR.
    I own both a Neo and a round stamp sov :)
    Whilst I love the Neo I find the sound of the sov is darker/mellow compared to the Neo and fits in section better with the other players also using sovs.

17. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Didn't mean it that way, Pete. I was just trying to demonstrate that even the very best (and this player is one of the all-time best, without a doubt) players can benefit from having a trigger option available.
    Be nice to get back onto the main focus of the thread though. Thanks.
    If the top G is sharp on the Neo, perhaps it could do with having a main slide trigger? :)

18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes, funnily enough. Seen, tested and discounted. Not as good as a Sovereign and no where near the Neo. But each to their own, if you like it great. Same with a trigger if you need one and it works for you fine. Owen Farr had the trigger on his York taken off, and he can play a bit.

19. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I've heard that Cory are due to receive horns with triggers shortly.
    Comparisons? I compared the Willson with a Sovereign for two weeks. No contest. The Willson is phatter and darker. It takes more filling though, so I can understand how initial impressions might prove unfavourable.
    I have no vested interest in Willson. Try one if you like, discount them if you like, it's no skin off my nose.
    I haven't played a Prestige, a York or a Neo horn. I have owned and played Bach, Conn and Stomvi trumpets, Conn, Sovereign and Prestige cornets, Conn trombones and Sovereign euphoniums/baritones. All I know is what I have experienced first hand. And my first-hand experience tells me that triggers are necessary (but we've been through this on the trigger thread....).

20. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

The trigger on the prestige horn was designed alongside Owen Farr is what I was told, the only downside to being that if you don't hold your left hand around the valve block, but instead hold on to somewhere like the 3rd valve tuning slide then the trigger would be pretty tricky to use!