Which tenor Horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidwalton, Sep 13, 2006.

1. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

The man on the trade stand was absolutely right... it wont be called the Xeno!

2. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Right...so what's it going to be called then?!

And why market something under one name, 'launch it' (for want of a better word) at a variety of high profile brass band contests under the same name and then change it?

Just doesn't make much sense to me.

3. 3rdcornetsolo

3rdcornetsolo Member

Unfortunately I cannot share the name with you... yet.

The product has not been marketed or 'launched' as a Xeno... the horn on show is not branded as Xeno, none of the 'high profile' events have mentioned the word Xeno, the artwork does not say Xeno on it so im a little unsure what doesnt make sense?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. westoe_horn

westoe_horn Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've got to agree with you with the design of the 4th valve. Shame it wasn't a thumb trigger similar to the french horn patent. Easier to manage.

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

4 valves?? Are they mad? I have enough trouble wih 3!

8. worzel

worzel Member

18 months on I would advise anyone to steer well clear of the Courtois. Our solo horn player has just got a Prestige, so I've got her old beat up Sovereign. It's like I've been doing resistant training for the last 18 months.

The main issue is the tuning. I was using alternate fingering for B D#, E which were all terribly flat (B still is even on 13), and low F is way sharp despite Bb above being a bit flat. It seemed in tune when we tested it. But I guess anyone can play a note in tune when they're watching the tuner. Without any effort to adjust the Sovereign comes in closer in tune than the Courtois after 18 months of trying to get used to it.

The second issue is the valves. They're noisy and heavy, and do stick sometimes. In comparison the Sovereign feels identical to my Sovereign cornet: fast, effortless, and noiseless.

The third issue was anything above G on the stave. Of course, I put this down to me. But now I can free buzz up to a top C and yet still can only get those notes out with considerable force, and they are very insecure. With the Sov suddenly I'm singing like a canary.

The fourth issue may be peculiar to me, but I found getting any sort dynamic range outside of f to fff almost impossible (I used to have the same problem on my cornet). Not so with the sov. It feels like it's just that the Sov plays so easily that I have a lot more room for manoeuvre.

So I now have a piece of junk that cost me a grand and a beat up falling apart old sovereign which sounds magnificent. The bitter sweet symphony, aye.

9. Martin

Martin Member

I have to agree with Worzel's comments and recognize a lot of the things highlighted. I had a Courtois 180 prior to getting my York Preference. I do remember that, whilst I always managed to get a good sound (so I was told) I did have serious problems with the tuning and was always fiddling with my tuning slide. The valves, too, gave me my fair share of problems.

Am really pleased with my York, though. :clap:

10. worzel

worzel Member

Funnily enough, last Saturday when I was blasting my Courtois in you ear I had the Sov at home but didn't bring it because I hadn't used it yet and was actually worried I'd be even worse on it :)

11. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

does anyone have an opinion on the new Yam Neo?

12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes. It's great. In tune throughout the range and very slick valves. Much better than my Sovereign.

I bought the first sold in Europe, and am only sad that I have given up brass bands now, so no longer get to play it. :(

Have moved to trumpet in a concert band, so my Neo is redundant.

13. worzel

worzel Member

I'd be prepared to provide a disposal service for you, for a small fee.

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yeah. Get one
    :)

15. John_D

John_D Member

yes ....................... don't believe the hype, try one for yourself and make your own mind up .............. then get a good 'round stamp' Sovereign ;)

16. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

Hi Aidan,
    What do you like about the Neo and how does it fit in when playing alongside others with Sovs?
    Also do you have any tuning concerns?

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's not hype. They are a different design to the other horns out there and are far better than Sov's. But then you're a Sop player, so the lack of oxgen has probably caused brain damage. :p

18. ..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  19. Agreed .... brilliant. Tuning in bands where that is important will not cause grief. I pull my first slide out a little to keep the professor happy

20. John_D

John_D Member

I notice that my earlier reply has, for some reason, been deleted.

To repeat. Yes i do now play sop, but did play horn for a long time. I've tried a Neo but found the sound to be a little harsh and not as pleasing as that from my old Sov.

If you are on the look out for a new horn the certainly try one. Some people will love them, others not. It's personal choice, but a choice that must be coloured with what you will need to blend with in your section.