Which straight mute?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Heppy, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Heppy

Heppy Member

Which cornet steel straight mute do people prefer? I want everyones opinions on sound and timbre.

There are thousands of good cornet players on this forum. What do they think?

Game on!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thousands
    opinions
    cornet players
    people
    sound
  3. HSB

HSB Member

I always preferred the Dennis Wick metal straight. It was silver so it looked like metal, not like these fancy copper things and all that you get nowadays. At the end of the day you can get too wrapped up in timbre. It's only some old duffer sat in a box. What difference can he tell?!!!

Having said that there are several 'tin' straight mutes on the market. Which one do you think gives your band a genuine 'edge' on the contest platform?

4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

i have one with a copper bottom and all the straight mutes at polysteel are copper bottomed but theres are more of a goldy colour and mine is a copper colour. i prefer them to the dennis wick mute have a nicer sound to them

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

It depends what I am playing.

I own:
    Denis Wick standard straight mute
    Denis Wick copper bottom straight mute
    Denis Wick gold bottom straight mute (the prototype of a range that never went into production)
    Denis Wick wooden straight mute
    Denis Wick black cardboard straight mute
    Bach black plastic straight mute
    Humes & Berg Fibre straight mute
    Tom Crown metal straight mute
    Tom Crown brass bottom straight mute
    Tom Crown copper bottom straight mute
    Hickman Sotto Voce mute

If I am after a general purpose metal straight mute, I tend to go for the standard Wick or the brass bottom Tom Crown (depending what other people are using, depends which blends best).
    The Bach plastic is my most used non-metal mute.
    The Sotto Voce is sublime if you ever have to play at the extreme end of the softer dynamics (that is what is has been designed for).

All of the mutes have their own sound - it is a question of which works in what context.

If I had to pick one for all mutage, it would be a close call between the two copper bottom mutes (Denis Wick and Tom Crown) - the Wick is slightly louder, whilst the sound of the Tom Crown is a little rounder (although the brass bottom TC is a good combination of the two).

6. JANUARYMAN

JANUARYMAN Member

Wow we Mike!!

I thought I was the dogs with my red Humes & Berg straight and harmon, backed up by a trusty Dennis Wick silver adjustable cup and white and red fibre.

Do you have the full selection out on show at concerts?

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This was a picture taken a couple of years ago (before the addition of many mentioned above)
    [​IMG]

I just take out the ones I will be using - sometimes that is just a couple, sometimes it is many of them. The picture below is from a Surrey Brass concert a couple of years ago (again, before the addition of many), In amongst the sea of trumpets, you should be able to see a number of mutes - I would try and work out which are mine, but it could be problematic (we all have very similar sets).

[​IMG]

Next time I get the chance to take some pics, I will try for an updated one:D

8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

A number of posts have been removed from this thread. As this is an On-Topic Forum, please attempt to keep it so.

Thanks
    Kepps

9. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

The Sellers thing was on topic!!! We do have a lot of mutes and Smed should talk to us!

10. flower girl

flower girl Member

dennis wick deffo

11. As jayne has pointed out - and I will do again since you removed it for NO REASON

Smed - have a word with sellers and McCann, he's always trying out different mutes and sellers have loads of different ones.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    thousands
    opinions
    cornet players
    people
    sound
  13. Heppy

Heppy Member

Thanks dude i will! Thats the kind of comment that is helpful and informative. little_miss_marcroft your a credit to the tMp.

14. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

You could always come down to Sellers and admire our mute selection! Kay had some smashing mutes, she might have taken them to New Zealand with her.

Well done Helen for your smashing suggestion. x

15. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I use a Jo-Ral gold bottom straight mute.

Wish I had a collection like TrumpetMike's but I wouldn't have clue where to put all those mutes!

16. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

My collection currently consists of:

Denis Wick Straight
    Denis Wick Straight for Piccolo Trumpet
    Denis Wick Adjustable Cup
    Humes & Berg Fibre Straight
    Humes & Berg Copper Bottom Symphonic Straight
    Humes & Berg Fibre Cup
    Humes & Berg Wah Wah Du All (Harmon)
    Jo-Ral Copper Bottom Straight
    Jo-Ral Copper Bubble (Harmon)
    Jo-Ral Copper Bottom Bucket
    Plus a rubber plunger (can't remember the make)

Use them all for various things, though I tend to be using the Jo-Rals more and the H & B's less these days.