Which Professional Euphonium 2015

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Graeme Euphonium, May 9, 2015.

1. Graeme Euphonium

Graeme Euphonium New Member

With many Euphonium Artists now promoting only their own brand make of Instrument, I am seeking views on what Euphonium would you consider the one to have. Some to consider may be Besson Prestige, Yamaha Neo, Adams Custom, Geneva Symphony, Sterling virtuoso. Is your choice based on a dark tone or a bright sound, ease of playing, intonation, build quality or other reasons.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Yamaha
    Euphonium Artists
    Besson Prestige
    Adams Custom
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Imho the best instrument to have is the one that you feel most comfortable playing in tune and producing a sound that you are happy with..... my advice to anyone would always be to try as many different ones as you can, and ignore the endorsements/sponsored artists and what any other people (who don't know you & your playing very well) think you should choose!

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  4. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

Personal opinion only
    I have played on several different band Besson Sovereign 967s over the last twenty or more years until I bought my own as I felt at ease with that model, but some years ago, the band instrument seized up in rehearsal and I went on stage with a Wilson instrument borrowed off a trade stand minutes before going on stage.
    I love my 967, but admit that the Wilson was a damn good instrument.
    I also tried out an early version of the Courtois some years ago and likened it on a par with some baked bean cans welded together. I have prejudice against Courtois euphs to this day, but think the Courtois trombones are fine

5. simonium

simonium Member

Try whatever you can, but don't overdo it. I've always found 20 minutes per hooter sufficient, and take someone whose ears you trust with you. Having sold brass for a living up until three years, the banjo that surprised me the most was the Yamaha Neo, it's a sensational instrument. The only thing I have found is that it seems to be increasingly difficult to get a variety of tonal shadings out of some of the huge euphoniums on the market; and the ultra heavyweight Geneva flute - can't remember it's name, something like the Excelsior or similar, is faintly ludicrous.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's not just euphoniums that this can be said about - there's been a very widespread shift in British brass playing where we've moved from a place where what we valued was maximum character of sound to a place where what we value is making it as easy as possible to play the notes.

7. Blagger

Blagger Member

Totally agree Dave. Some of the new Euphs are just massive. My weapon of choice was always the "Pre Lottery grant" Besson Soveriegn 967 of late 80,s vintage. I played a York for a while and never really got on with it. It felt like I was a passenger rather than a player and got minimal feedback from it.
    Having said all that - It's a personal choice so try before you buy.

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  8. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

I like the look of these Adams instruments, some of the finishes look great! No idea what they play like though, I'm sure they're good

9. Graeme Euphonium

David Werden In the US is an Adams artist, there are a lot of good things being said about them on his web site www.dwerden.com

10. Adrian Nurney

Adrian Nurney New Member

what about the Yamaha custom 842 ? any good?
    I tried a Besson Prestige and the Yamaha 642 at band, both were vastly superior to my 1981 roundstamp

Adrian (on an old round stamp)

11. Graeme Euphonium

As Blagger has said there is that element of personal choice. Regarding the Yamaha Custom I have heard that some prefer the Neo but I have no experience of either so maybe others might chime in.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Euphonium
    Yamaha
    Euphonium Artists
    Besson Prestige
    Adams Custom