Which phone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jonford, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jonford

jonford Member

Ive had my phone 12 months, Samsung V200 and am thinking about upgrading. Has anyone recently got a new phone that they would reccommend? Or a phone they would stay clear of!? I am quite attracted to the Samsung E800 but would be interested in peoples opinions on any phones.

Thanks
    Jon

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have the Sony Ericsson Z600 and am truely in love with it.... :lol:
    Before that I had the T610.... both very good phones....

:-D

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have a motorola V66. It is very nice, small and simple (& it works in the UK & US)

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Panasonic GD87e. Both my wife and I have one of these. They are generally OK, but have a firmware error that causes them to lose signal quite suddenly. This doesn't happen very often, but is most frustrating when it does happen.

Apart from that, they are OK. Discontinued now, but the next model would have fixed the firmware error I guess.

Attached Files:

5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Whatever you do don't go on 3 and get an NEC e616! They're rubbish. I have one myself and I've been told by others the problems they've had with theirs. First of all it started overheating (apparantly a common problem), then it just started randomly hanging (again common) then the mic stopped working (again.......). Sent it back to be repaired after spending ages on the phone to the call center in India (on the landline as the mic was broken on the mobile) . Seemed fine for a month or so, until I swapped the battery (you need to carry 2 with you as they don't last long at all!!) When I powered the phone back up with the recharged battery, everything was in chinese!! Again phoned India and they had to talk me through changing back to English, which, again, is a common occurence!! My entire memory had been wiped (luckily I backed most of it up to my computer, but still lost the most recent added contacts)

Just a warning.........Avoid like the plague!!

6. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

sony ericsson Z600 is a top phone, camera is a top quality camera.

good pictures if the person pic is of stays still. Especially when it's my puppy dog.

7. jonford

jonford Member

I wasn't planning on going with 3. Someone tried to make me sign up for it but at the moment I am happy on O2!

8. Naomi McFadyen

:) me too... was on Orange but my bills were getting sky rocket high!!! O2 is great :D

9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I'm on O2... with a genie sim... Top up with £10 a month and you get 300 free texts (so you effectively get 400 for a tenner). If you're like me and only really use your phone for texting, i think you'd be mad to go on any other network.. saves me £30 a month! The call prices aren't that cheap though... and on O2 i can get a signal practically anywhere, i know a lot of my friends on orange & virgin have problems with this

10. Power Tooba

Power Tooba Member

Got two mobiles - a Nokia one on Vodafone (which is my work phone) and a new Siemens M65 on O2.

The Nokia isn't that great, for ever cutting out, poor reception, network busy - but that could just be the Network. :(

The Siemens is great. My last three phones have all been Siemens and up to now never had a problem :tup - Till they become that battered, due to abuse, that they fall apart or i break the screen etc :-?. The M65 is a "hard" phone though got metal case and dustproof, shockproof water resistant etc - I went for this in the hope i'd manage to keep it in one piece longer!! It also has a "bike-o-meter" feature for telling you how far you've gone on your bike. Great if you cycle - which I don't, as that constitutes excersice :-?

Camera is good and the screen has a 65k colour display which is really good!

O2 is cool never had a problem with them!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Samsung
    V200
    E800
    Ive
    ThanksJon
  12. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Sony Ericsson rock! I've got the T630 which i love but now they've brought out the Z somthing or other (probs aimee and naomi's ones!) so i'd get that i guess if i was getting a new one! But sony ericsson i highly recommend!! :)

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am currently with Orange, and have three phones on the one account. I too am finding them very, very expensive indeed, and we are now considering cancelling our contract with them (which we have had for 6 yrs) and going back to a pay-as-you-go scheme.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Yea I had been with Orange since about 1999... started out on PAYG then went on contract a year ago after I was topping up £50 a month! :lol:

...Contract started off ok, but then the £90 phone bills started arriving... so decided to get a new phone on a new network. Cancelling my Orange phone once the contract runs out... which is another month or so.... O2 contract is good... shame the free minutes are offpeak only though (I'm on £20 a month... 500 free texts, 300 free mins)

:-D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  15. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

take a look at the O2 website John. They have the best deals around. better than any high street shops anyway! My contract is £25 per month and included in that i get line rental (obviously), 500 free texts and 100 free cross-network anytime mins! I know lots of people who have this package and very rarely, if ever, go over limit. If you do then the call prices are quite cheap also. It's a pretty good deal if you ask me! And O2 does have excellent coverage etc.

16. jonford

jonford Member

I have certainly give up with Nokia phones! They have a lot of features but every phone I have had the battery life is very poor. It could just be the models that I had but I have heard many stories about them cutting out when the phone thinks there is still loads of battery.

Glad to hear about peoples bills with orange! They tried to make me change to orange when I last went in phones4u! Might also considering looking at Sony Ericsson. Thank's for everyones comments so far, They've been a big help and its very interesting to hear about everyone's deals.

One thing I noticed though is that some deals are cheaper online, and might consider cancelling my current contract and getting a new one of o2.co.uk. Although that probably means a number change! :-?

17. Naomi McFadyen

Yes, although there are instructions on the O2 site saying how to transfer your old number across.... it may cost you though I think.....
    O2 is also great cos it is all online... no paper work bills! just get emails when the bill is due and you pay online :) love it, very convieniant and easy :)

edit: i sound like a sales rep!!!
    Maybe a should drop the music thing and work in a phone shop..... :shock:

18. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

It's v simple to change number online on O2. I decided not to but my friend who got the same package as me did and said it was very simple. :) not sure about cost but i don't think there was. Seem to remember it saying change your number free of charge but don't quote me on that!

Yep agree with Naomi, it's very simple! No paper, just emails! Great!

19. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Haha! Me too come to think of it! Our talents are wasted in music Ni!

20. Naomi McFadyen

I dont remember it saying about a charge or whether it was free at all.... but I know *some* companys charge and it aint cheap.... but, O2 maybe nice and do it for free :) best thing is to email/phone or go into a shop and ask :) but yes, it sounds fairly easy to do... need to phone up present network and ask for whatever it is you have to ask for.... (it's getting late....)

:lol:

21. jonford

jonford Member

I also heard you can check your bills with some companys mid month? So then you know how much you've spent so far?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Samsung
    V200
    E800
    Ive
    ThanksJon