Which old test piece would you like to see revived

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Jan 20, 2004.

?

Favourite revival piece

1. Checkmate

88.7%
  2. Triumphant Rhapsody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Connotations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Le Roi d'Ys

1.6%
  5. The Frogs of Aristophanes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Volcano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pageantry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kensington Concerto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Diadem of Gold

1.6%
  10. Journey Into Freedom

8.1%
  11. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

This was inspired, oddly enough, by one of the posts disagreeing with my 'French horn' ideas! It was a valid point declaring concern that a legacy of wonderful brass band music might be lost if French horns were a permanent fixture in bands (something I wouldn't advocate).

So on the legacy point, which old nationals test piece test piece (let's say pre 1980) would you like to see revived at the National championships in the future? I've polled a list but with an 'other' option.

I go for Checkmate. Sufficiently tricky enough even by todays standards (IMHO) and to my ears, one of the very best examples of a brass band arrangement sounding like it could have been written with a brass band in mind.

What's your favourite?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roi d'ys
    Oooh
    Pageantry
    Plantagenets
    Eckyboy
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Good thread - again! (Do you do any work Dave, or sit there all day thinking up cool stuff to put on here?!! :wink: :lol: )

I'm not convinced some of these ever really went away though - Journey, The Frogs and Kensington have all been 1st section finals pieces in the last 10 years. (hey what a boc am I! :oops: ) I've voted for Connotations because I love it and would quite happily sit and listen to 15+ decent bands playing it. Its the only piece on the list I've only got one recording of too - not sure if that means anything or not!

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

You mean you haven't got any other recordings of anything? :lol:

Sorry, I should have said, I would like these (even if some championship based players think they're too easy nowadays) to be revived for an Albert Hall appearance!

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

AND..... There's a copyright forum here so some of the stuff I post on here is actually work related........... (liar, liar, pants. etc.)

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Of the test pieces named I would go for Le Roi d'Ys. Good solos, good tunes and good technique needed - and expertly arranged.

However, I voted 'other' and I'm gonna go just outside to 1981 and say Blitz. I love it. One of Bourgeois's(!) best ever and not played as often as it deserves to be. IMHO.

Matt

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:lol: :lol:

We've got about 200 band cds and not much else. Sad but true!

As far as "too easy" goes, I think it makes a pleasant change when the pieces are less technically demanding and the bands have to work hard at the music to stand out. Maunsell Forts is a pretty good recent example. For the Albert Hall I think I'd stick with Connotations, or maybe Roi D'Ys to see how this "generation" of euphs do.

(But if Blitz had been on the poll, I would've voted for that :wink: )

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

It's not that old, but would like to hear 'Spectrum' aired by a number of bands. 'Moorside Suite' would still be a good test for higher section bands I believe.

Also, if you are a 3rd/4th section band after a good test work, look no further than Morley Calverts 'Canadian Folk Song Suite'. Those at the RNCM on Saturday heard Fodens perform what I think could be an excellent, fun, listenable and sufficiently testing work for the lower sections. Also, Eric Ball's 'Air Varie-The Old Wells' which was commended by Elgar after seeing the score back in the early part of the last century.

John

9. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Put my cross next to Triumphant Rhapsody, a piece that I remember playing on my first Cornwall Youth Band course, some time ago! It's a great piece, that sadly doesn't see much light nowadays. It was a little cruel to make me choose though! :?

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've voted "other" as I would go for Eric Cundell's "Blackfriars". I'd not heard it before I was sent the Virtuosi Brass band cds to review. I have to agree with the writer of the sleeve notes that it is a very attractive piece which would still provide a challenge for any band, and it seems to have been unduly neglected over the years.

11. missflugel

missflugel Member

The top section at the Durham League Contest are playing Triumphant Rhapsody and last year the piece was Journey in to Freedom.

Perhaps its up to more local contests to play such pieces as suggested in the poll so they can be recognised once again by newer band contest audiences

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Roi d'ys
    Oooh
    Pageantry
    Plantagenets
    Eckyboy
  13. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I would love to see Life Divine by Cyril Jenkins used again.
    Great piece and still could be a pretty tough test for bands of today. Hard piece, easy on the ear of the audience and bandsmen /women alike. Great piece. :D

I know the thought of starting the piece on a Top C would scare me a bit! :D

14. Chippy_Cornet

Chippy_Cornet Member

I actually voted for 'Journey into Freedom', mainly because I enjoy listening to it!!!

However, I must also echo johnflugel's comments regarding 'The Old Wells' & 'Canadian Folk Song Suite'. Both are great to listen to, and provide a good test of players as well.

Simon Rowney

15. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Well Chippy, if I can call you that :) , if you can get a day off from wife and child, you could visit Blackpool in May when it will be the test piece for the Senior Cup.

I forgot to say, I voted for Volcano. Top piece, I like some of Robert Simpsons music...anybody played Energy...it's rock hard.

John

16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I went for "other" purely because I can...

:p

erm, and I'm sure I'll think of a really good old piece that hasnt been used in years... Labour and Love or something... I dunno

:)

17. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I voted other, I know it's not that old but I'd love to see Spectrum make a reappearance. :)

18. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Le Roi d'Ys is a classic I've not played for years but is Plantagenates no thought of anymore.Still my alltime fave.
    Do the rest of tmps not like it

19. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

ermmmmmm ......Pagentry, High Peak, and Connotations, there are so many great pieces that should be given light of day on the stand.
    It does seem that the league contests appear to giving them a revival, especially in Durham, lead the way I say!

20. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I played Le roi d'Ys for the first time back in 2001 and found it to be one of the best test pieces I'd played, along with a lot of Philip Sparke's stuff and a few special ones. I encourage bands to play it more!

21. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Other:

Seascapes (Ray Steadman-Allen)
    Concertino (Philip Lane)

22. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'd go along with Life Divine, and also throw in Shining River (1st Section?).

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea? (when was this last played?)
    Land of the Long White Cloud (1st?)