Which Notes?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shezza, May 31, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Member

Hi all, being a new cornet player could someone please enlighten me on a couple of things. Firstly, what notes are played without the valves. Secondly, what notes are played with the valves. Hope this makes sense to somebody out there or point me in the direction of some sort of list of notes?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    sort of list of notes
    new cornet player
    couple of things
    Hope
    sense
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Courtesy of Ralph J Jones

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

4. shezza

shezza New Member

This is where I confused, for eg. if 1-2-3 is F# Gd How can 1-2-3 also be C# Dd
    I suppose what I am saying is Are there notes that I play through embouchure only with no Valves
    And are there notes that I play with valves. And with valves plus embouchure

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Leave the valves aside for a moment. You can obtain a series of notes (called "harmonics" or, more correctly, "partials") without using the valves (i.e. just by changing lip tension), as shown on the picture above (each note for which the fingering is "0") - low C, G, C, E, G, high C [plus a note close to the Bb just below high C that is too flat to use]. This series keeps on going beyond high C, but these notes are rather more advanced.

The valves allow you to 'fill in' the gaps between these notes. Each valve combination lowers the overall pitch of the instrument by a certain amount - a semitone for 2nd valve, a tone for 1st valve, a tone and a semitone for 3rd valve. For each combination of valves, you get a new series of notes:

2nd valve: B, F#, B, D#, F#, B, etc. (note that each note of the series is a semitone lower than the corresponding note in the series for the open valves)
    1st valve: Bb, F, Bb, D, F, Bb, etc.
    1st plus 2nd valve (same tubing length as 3rd valve): A, E, A, C#, E, A, etc.
    2nd plus 3rd valve: Ab, Eb, Ab, C, Eb, Ab, etc.
    1st plus 3rd valve: G, D, G, B, D, G, etc.
    All three valves: F#, C#, F#, A#, C#, F#, etc.

Between all of these combinations we have now covered every note of the chromatic scale from bottom F# on upwards, as shown in the picture. Some notes have more than one possible fingering - as a rule of thumb, it is almost always best to use the minimum amount of tubing for any given note. The picture shows the usual fingerings for each note.

Does that help? You basically set your embouchure right for any given note, and then supply the correct amount of tubing to match the pitch your embouchure is asking for.

6. shezza

shezza New Member

It's coming together now.......Thanks...........Pete.