Which 'not yet played' solo would you like to play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Those of you (percussion included, of course!) who have been given a chance over the months/years etc. to play a solo, Is there a solo that you've not yet played with a band (either in rehearsal or in concert!) that you would love to have a crack at?

What inspired this topic was listening to Mathieson's Air (Vinter) just now on my CD player. Conducted it several times, never got a chance to play it (NOT hinting Mr McLaughlin. After all, he kindly gave me the opportunity to play Let The Bright Seraphim last Christmas!;-)

So, is there a solo you'd like to have a crack at, even if just once in a rehearsal? If so, what?

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd love to have a go at "Variations for Percussion" by whoever wrote it :? the composers name has just flown out my mind! :? :shock: :shock:

edit: Rodney Newton????
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye it's by Rodney Newton...on the Chandos Label ( am sure Legends in Brass ) , am sure it was commissioned by Sellers.
    Dont know if anyone has heard of Alun Hoddinot's 8th Symphony ( for brass and perc ) was written for the National Youth Brass Band of Wales 10 Anniversary in 1992 , it's a great piece , really massive .I think it's only had the one performance sadly :(
  4. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Well this year I'm going to be forced into Frosty the Snowman, but I've got a recording somewhere of Czardas played on the trombone - I'd LOVE to give that a go!
  5. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I'll be playing that later this year - if you want the arrangement ask Rager Thorne.
  6. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Coo, much thanks. Shall drop him a PM!
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i'd just like to get a solo... :cry:

but seriously, I'd love to give Thoughts of Love a shot, with an accompaniment (it's just not the same on your own in your bedroom, or so the saying goes...)
  8. Di

Di Active Member

What have you done to put him in such a rage? :lol:
  9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Hmmm, reminds me to remind my conductor yet again to find time to work on Peace (John Golland) ... of course, that is not going to be for a while as I won't be with the band for a while (ie. 4 weeks, no choice in that matter).

I would like to also work on Fantasy by Philip Sparke, but the band parts are really tough for that (oh, yeah and the small fact that I'm not quite ready to play it as a solo :p)

Or ... maybe in a year or so (with or more likely without band) John Golland's 1st Euphonium Concerto, love that piece.
  10. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Just for the sheer hell of it, i'd love to give Ernest Tomlinson's Cornet Concerto a go! :lol:

It would be highly amusing for me and anyone listening as i doubt i could play more than about 5 notes of it!
    Would be an experience though...an unforgettable one... :lol:
  11. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Much as I'd love to do Variations for Percussion (it's a great piece!) something much more practical and audience friendly I'd like to try is Zimba Zamba by Goff Richards. Cheesy, but I like it. :D
  12. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I've always wanted to have a go at Piper Of Dundee, and was very close to getting the ellerby horn concerto until I found out the price (55 quid! flippin eck!). :shock:
    My band wants me to do Flight of the Bumblebee (purely to see me in a bee costume playing it) but I've not found a decent Eb arrangement of it yet. :?
    Although having heard Skelter last night I've put in a Next-day delivery order and I'm going to play it this summer if it kills me! :p
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: LOL!!!
    I could imgine that.... that would be so funny! DO IT! :lol:

14. Why limit this to a solo and band. How about any solo (accompanied or not)?

Ken F.
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Would it be a sin to compose a solo for oneself? :lol:
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Say you wrote it for the other person, but you didn't realise they couldn't play it, so you'll play it to show them how it's done! :lol:
  17. An 'audio'biography?

Ken F.
  18. Philip Sparkes euphonium cocnerto, movements 2 and 3
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There are plenty of precedents for it: Terry Camsey has written several solos that he has premiered, including "Life's Pageant", virtually a parody of "Zelda" that he could play in the guards but not with the SA. Thomas Mack wote "Tell the world" for himself, and of course Les Condon with "Celestial Morn" and the fine tuba duet "Radiant Pathway".
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

Only if you couldnt play it!!! I have been told to learn Langfords Rhapsody for trombone.

(Edited: dyl)