Which mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Basstiger, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I've recently been given a Jupiter soprano trombone which comes with the original 7c trumpet mouthpiece. I find it is too small and shallow for me as a trombone player. I have tried a tenor horn (Denis Wick 2) which gives a nice tone, but I lose high range. Bearing in mind this is only a toy as far as I am concerned has anyone got any advice as to a compromise mouthpiece? My preference is for Denis Wick mouthpieces but I am open to suggestions.

2. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

A Denis Wick 2 (not a 2B) would be fairly big and open but still should allow a reasonble amount of range.

3. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Split the difference - DW Flugel m/p?

4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

To clarify - I am talking about a Denis Wick 2 cornet mouthpiece.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A flugel mouthpiece is the obvious idea - but aren't there shank size issues? Certainly the only flugel mouthpiece I have has a smaller shank than trumpet / soprano trombone. I think the cornet shank tends to be smaller than trumpet too.

I find that the extra depth makes a big difference for those of us who are used to playing bigger instruments - the different in rimsize isn't nearly as significant. Basically - what trumpet or cornet players call 'really deep' = 'unmanageably shallow' for us.

6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Yes - if it takes a trumpet mouthpiece usually, then you could put a Cornet mouthpiece in, but you would need a cornet to trumpet mouthpiece adapter (available for a few quid) to do so.

Alternatively, a Flugel Mouthpiece may just fit in a trumpet receiver - best to try before you buy.

7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My DW2fl certainly has a wider shank than my DW2b cornet m/p, similar in size to the trumpet-like gob iron supplied with the VB Strad flugel.

And, according to the Denis Wick website, the 2fl is

8. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Always been a Denis Wick person myself but now moved into the world of alliance mouth peices i think their fantastic highly recommend them.

9. RussQ

RussQ Member

I'll second that! Much more comfortable and easy blowing than the wick. Give 'em a try!

10. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks all, I went to Phil Parker finally today and tried a few, I ended up with a Shilke 24 trumpet mouthpiece which is huge and enabled me to get the whole range (albeit I struggled with the high end - I think that may be a bass trombone thing!)

11. sianybee24

sianybee24 New Member

Give the Warburton's a try. I was on the Warb 2FLX way before Doylie decided to endorse them :p

I love it. Comfortable in the high register due to a slightly flatter rim than the Wick, even tone throughout and it has a longer shank which is always useful ;)

Each to their own to be honest. I made the mistake of asking the Legend that is Peter Read about mouthpieces. After an hour, I still had come to no conclusion!!!!

Give the Warb a try. I love it but it's not for everyone!

Sianybee

12. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

As I always say, Wicky knows best... I think I'll stick with his well-established tenor horn range... ;-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice