Which mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Basstiger, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I've recently been given a Jupiter soprano trombone which comes with the original 7c trumpet mouthpiece. I find it is too small and shallow for me as a trombone player. I have tried a tenor horn (Denis Wick 2) which gives a nice tone, but I lose high range. Bearing in mind this is only a toy as far as I am concerned has anyone got any advice as to a compromise mouthpiece? My preference is for Denis Wick mouthpieces but I am open to suggestions.
  2. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

A Denis Wick 2 (not a 2B) would be fairly big and open but still should allow a reasonble amount of range.
  3. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Split the difference - DW Flugel m/p?
  4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

To clarify - I am talking about a Denis Wick 2 cornet mouthpiece.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A flugel mouthpiece is the obvious idea - but aren't there shank size issues? Certainly the only flugel mouthpiece I have has a smaller shank than trumpet / soprano trombone. I think the cornet shank tends to be smaller than trumpet too.

I find that the extra depth makes a big difference for those of us who are used to playing bigger instruments - the different in rimsize isn't nearly as significant. Basically - what trumpet or cornet players call 'really deep' = 'unmanageably shallow' for us.
  6. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Yes - if it takes a trumpet mouthpiece usually, then you could put a Cornet mouthpiece in, but you would need a cornet to trumpet mouthpiece adapter (available for a few quid) to do so.

Alternatively, a Flugel Mouthpiece may just fit in a trumpet receiver - best to try before you buy.
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My DW2fl certainly has a wider shank than my DW2b cornet m/p, similar in size to the trumpet-like gob iron supplied with the VB Strad flugel.

And, according to the Denis Wick website, the 2fl is
  8. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Always been a Denis Wick person myself but now moved into the world of alliance mouth peices i think their fantastic highly recommend them.
  9. RussQ

RussQ Member

I'll second that! Much more comfortable and easy blowing than the wick. Give 'em a try!
  10. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks all, I went to Phil Parker finally today and tried a few, I ended up with a Shilke 24 trumpet mouthpiece which is huge and enabled me to get the whole range (albeit I struggled with the high end - I think that may be a bass trombone thing!)
  11. sianybee24

sianybee24 New Member

Give the Warburton's a try. I was on the Warb 2FLX way before Doylie decided to endorse them :p

I love it. Comfortable in the high register due to a slightly flatter rim than the Wick, even tone throughout and it has a longer shank which is always useful ;)

Each to their own to be honest. I made the mistake of asking the Legend that is Peter Read about mouthpieces. After an hour, I still had come to no conclusion!!!!

Give the Warb a try. I love it but it's not for everyone!

12. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

As I always say, Wicky knows best... I think I'll stick with his well-established tenor horn range... ;-)