Which make?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by picju96, Jan 11, 2003.

1. picju96

picju96 Member

I'm currently thinking of buying a new cornet, but can't decide which make to buy - besson prestige or yamaha maestro. What do you play on/recommend? Any other makes that I could consider? I play on a besson 700 at the moment, and I like the sound and feel of it, but I think I need a professional model one now, since I'm now grade 8. I played a yamaha student one the other day and didn't like that much. I played on a yamaha student trumpet until last year though, which was fine. I really can't decide - please help me out!

Julia

2. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

I'd go for the prestige out of those two - I've found bessons have a much bigger sound, a lot depends on the player I suppose though. I played a sovereign (928 I think?!) when I was on cornet and it was great. I was one of the lucky few though since the valves were good. Try a couple out and see what you think.

3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I'd go for the Meastro. I have one and have had no probs at all.
    its nice and easy to blow, and has a nice sound. :lol:

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Think about the instruments around you at band - what are you hoping to blend with? The Yamaha (for me) makes a brighter sound which can sometimes be rather penetrating in a section of darker Bessons. (Much depends on mouthpiece though...)

If I was just buying an instrument for myself irrespective of band etc. I'd go for the Smith Watkins - without reservation.

D

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

.. I have always used a B&H Sov 928 Cornet - not everyones taste I appreciate, but it suited me fine. Another thing to consider though picju96 is your choice of mouthpiece. The Wick mouthpieces that came with B&H cornets I always found terrible... when I play I use a Lewington McCan - very deep cup so needs stamina but helps to produce a really rich sound... :D

Try a few out and good luck. Let us know what you decide won't you...?

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Sort of on this subject..

I'm on the look out for a new cornet - basically looking to buy my own and release the one I'm playing back into the band.
    Are there any "workshop" style locations around where it's possible to bring a mouthpiece or six and try out various makes and models?
    I'm playing a Maestro at the moment, so specifically interested in
    • Besson Sovs and Prestiges
      Smith Watkins
      Courtois models
    although not limited to above models.
    I comandeered a Courtois Chambord II a few years back, and was very impressed, so specifically interested in these..
    It's hard for me to get hold of shop models of anything other than student trumpets, so I'd appreciate any help or pointers people might have..

7. frisp

frisp Member

Sorry about this...

buy a Bass :D

8. impycornet

impycornet Member

I would also recommend the Smith Watkins. With the choice of leadpipes available you can customise what is already an excellent base cornet into one that is uniquely suited to you. Plus the valves work & the instrument is in tune with itself ( which always helps :D )

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

Why buy a fish? :roll:

10. Keppler

Because it's the only thing in the world that tastes *better* with the addition of Holton valve oil..

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    yamaha
    prestige
    maestro
    student trumpet
  12. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

You Know my views Julia mate!!!!!!!!

Prestige all the way!!!!!!

Anyway dont worry about your cornet
    Get back to your revision!!!!! 8)

Bexy

13. davidsait

davidsait Member

yeah - you've gotta get your A Levels so you can come to Warwick and join the band!

Dave Sait

14. picju96

picju96 Member

I don't have an offer from Warwick yet! *fingers crossed* And yes I know Becky!

15. keith_b

keith_b New Member

Edwards now make a cornet, and if their trumpets are anything to go by, then it would certainly be worth a look.

16. Keppler

Any URL for edwards?

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

18. Keppler

bingo!

thanks John...

19. keith_b

keith_b New Member

20. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

OK, not one of your common suggestions for a cornet make, but these are amazing, though might look a little out of place amongst some sections (better in my opinnion though!)

check out the orpheus / zeus cornets from Taylor Trumpets, they are without doubt the best instruments in general that I have ever played.

I play on a customised London trumpet, and it is amazing. The intonation is perfect, it feels "free" when you blow, the power is unrivalled and the sound is warm. And the valves and slides are perfect, as they are handmade.

And the orpheus, at a mere £1395 is more than a competitor for the prestige since it is totally hand made! And in my view the best instrument available by far!

The copper flugel is amazing as well by the way, got to play one last time I went to andy's workshop.

21. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

yamahas are nice instruments so id take the yamaha for a cornet-nice sound.

carolyn

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet
    yamaha
    prestige
    maestro
    student trumpet