Which is your favorite British contest march of these ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr. Stomvi, Jul 8, 2010.

?

Which of these British contest marches do you like the best ?

1. The Elephant - J. Ord Hume

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. Castel Caerffili - T.J. Powell

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Castel Coch - T.J. Powell

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Simoraine - John Barraclough

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. The Glory of Cory - Derek Broadbent

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. The British Bandsman - Derek Broadbent

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. The Centaur - Derek Broadbent

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. The Spaceman - T.J. Powell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Keighley Moor

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    The Glory of Cory - Derek Broadbent
    T.J. Powell
    Elephant - J. Ord Hume
    Derek Broadbent
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Interesting list. What criteria was used to compile the list?

4. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

I've been listening to literally hours and hours and hundreds and hundreds of marches over the last few months and kinda came upon these lately and liked them. Might pick some up for our BBB. Might arrange some for wind band also.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Wasn't it Clive Barraclough who wrote "Simoraine" ?
    I knew him years ago when he was at Lindley Band and I certainly never recall him being called John at any time !

- Mr Wilx

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

I think you are right. I just took what was on the video. I also can't figure out how to edit my original post to make the correction :-(

7. Kjata

Kjata Member

I love Simoraine as a march! But for technical fireworks it has to Keighley Moor!
    (I voted for Simoraine for the record)!

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Out of that lot? god knows.....

Couldn't you pick any decent marches?

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Keighley moor is great to play. Good luck getting hold of a (the?) set though :)

edit: scratch that, looks like its published now

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  10. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

I wasn't looking for the standard cast of characters i.e. The President, Knight Templar, Ravenswood, ORB, Punchinello, Wizard, etc. I am more interested in the somewhat off the beaten trail marches at the moment and I think these fit the bill somewhat don't you think. I would say that Simoraine and Castle Coch are a little more mainstream though which is why I put them in for something to compare against.

11. All those a great to play but I agree with Adrian - I has to be Keightly Moor by Australian Joe Cook :clap: But there are heaps of better marches than some of the ones listed. What about Ravenswood or the Australasian

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    The Glory of Cory - Derek Broadbent
    T.J. Powell
    Elephant - J. Ord Hume
    Derek Broadbent
  13. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Polls of everybody's favorite contest marches have already been discussed on here for quite some time and on many threads. Don't worry - I actually have either played or looked at most all of them that have been mentioned over the years here. I thought I would limit the conversation to just these which I found interesting and ones which kinda fly under the radar. I'm not putting these forward as the best marches or even my favorites. I just think they are rather interesting and not usually mentioned in the usual discussions or polls. How bout we steer the comments as to why you don't like these marches or perhaps why you like some of these more than others. For instance - I love the introductions on the Broadbent marches especially "Glory to Cory" and The Centaur" but the trios seem kinda weak and the endings and some of the changes between strains seem kinda odd. But I still like them though and find them kinda refreshing from the normal lists. I also really liked "Castel Caerffili" a little more than the more well known and played "Castel Coch" as I thought the intro was just a little stronger and more interesting. Also - how could anyone not find "Keighly Moor" exciting and fun to play.

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

High Command? Northern Star? Bramwyn? Black Knight? Harlequin? Glemdene? Irresistable? The Captain?

All also slightly off the beaten track - but all good stuff....

15. brownrob

brownrob Member

Irresistable is really good, I like that one! :)

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Trafalgar" has a tonking bass solo.
    Rattles the rafters on a street march !!

- Mr Wilx

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

PS: I also like "Washington Greys".

- Mr Wilx

18. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

If you remember Bramwyn was used at least twice last week at Brighouse so it is favoured by some.
    I played Castell Carephilly to many times on a Whitfriday march

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Now you're talking! Trafalgar in particular.

I didn't realise that the point to the thread was 'what's your favourite march but only these that you wouldn't normally pick as a favourite'.

As it happens, my favourite is The Contestor. I've never heard a band play it yet, which probably means it's in the category of 'decent march, but not generally played by a decent band'...

20. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

OK - So far it looks like the least favorites are the marches by Derek Broadbent. So here is the question. Why do you think that is ? What don't people like about these marches ? I personally think that "Glory of Cory" and "The Centaur" are both stronger than "The British Bandsman" but I would be curious as to what everyone else thinks. I also think that the 1st half of "Glory to Cory" is way stronger than the 2nd half but ya just gotta love the power of the 1st half.

21. bh2001

bh2001 New Member

Simoraine is great fun to play and has an awesome bass trom part. I think the directions on the score even give the bass trom player directions to make the part prominent (does a composer ever really need to write that).

22. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

We played it yesterday at an entertainments contest and I also recall playing it with Barnsley BS at Whit Friday a few years ago.

Not one of my favourites though, I must admit.