Which iPod?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by barry toan, Feb 26, 2005.

Which size?

1. 20Gb?

10 vote(s)
  2. 40Gb?

7 vote(s)
  1. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Ok, i need an iPod as would make my job a lot easier! What version should I go for, 20Gb or 40Gb? Do i REALLY need to pay the extra and get a 40Gb model?
    Anyone got any hints and tips? :tup
  2. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

really depends on how much music you want to put on their, you don't wanna by a 20gb one and find that you run out room do you! But saying that I have a iPod mini and that only has 6gb and have only used half so far, you could always opt for the middle road and buy a 30gb ipod http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore
    hope that helps
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think it depends on the size of your music collection. I've got about 500 CDs but still went for the 20G size cos I think 5000 songs will do me plenty and kept the price down.

There is a new ipod where you can have photos on it but I just wanted to listen to music. I think in a couple of years the price will come down. Plus once the 40G comes down in price then they will probably release an even bigger size!
  4. NeilW

NeilW Member

Why limit yourself to just an iPod?

I have a 20Gb iRiver H320 and am very happy with it! Its got all my CDs on it, and all my photos (since it can display pictures too), and a bunch of files that I want to carry around. I've still got loads of space left. Biggest thing is, though, that it can record from internal mic, or other sources (I've used it to record a couple of tapes and convert them to mp3).

iPods are a bit limited in that you HAVE to use iTunes to connect to them too (I believe): others just look like USB hard drives and you can just copy files to them from whatever computer you like that supports USB (even running Linux!)

I admit, though, that the iPods do have the best user interface (the wheel thing) - though you learn most others in about 10 minutes - and lots of people have jumped on the accessories bandwaggon - but then other MP3 players may have the function of the accessories built in and not need accessories (like a radio!)

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I use a Creative Jukebox 3, upgraded with a standard laptop HDD to 100 gb. And it was still cheaper than a 40gb ipod, and can record uncompressed wav from a mic. And it has a radio! I have 5000 tracks on it so far!
  6. jonford

jonford Member

I've been looking at ipods recently too, not got the money for one yet but I reckon it would be useful for a long coach journey for a band tour! instead of carting around cds and mini disks. Has anyone got a Creative Zen micro or iriver H10? These are the two I've been looking at but they only have 5gb so I might save up for something better.
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Go for the 40gig...

8. rutty

rutty Active Member

iPods are no use to a Linux user like myself. I also think that they're a little overpriced, but they are a really good product. I need something that supports the ogg format though and am currently looking around at media devices that do.

But, if you really, really want an iPod then the 20GB version will be fine for most people.
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yup - a 20G model will do fine. I have one of these and am only using 30% of the capacity.
  10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Hating to carp on about it, but the iRiver H320/H340s do all of that: supported by Linux as a USB hard drive (simple file copy of your tunes, ripped with the utility of your choice), and will play MP3, WMA and OGG - though OGG does seem to use more battery while playing and noone's quite sure why, probably down to its use of variable bitrate. i.e. it will only run for 12 hours instead of the 16 you can get with MP3.

You can even play videos on them (though you have to encode them in a particular way).

The H10 seems to be getting good reviews, but is very new and many people seem to be waiting for one with a bigger driver than 5Gb...

11. rutty

rutty Active Member

Thanks Neil - I'll probably need a bigger drive than 5GB but I might take a look and see what they're like. I quite like the look of those Archos media devices - I think they actually run on Linux itself (not sure). Mmmmm, time to break out the VISA.... :)
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

ooooooh, that H340 looks nice! :D
  13. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Certainly does, seems to do a lot more than your standard iPod!
  14. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I've got a 20Gb Sony NW-HD1 which holds well over 10000 tracks, I used to have an iPod, but it broke on me twice therefore I wouldn't recomend them, I've had no problem at all with my sony and I've heard that the irivers are also very good!
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

I've had a 20gb iPod for just over a year now - filled it up with quite a few cd's of my collection remaining - so I'd personally look for much more capacity from my next purchase. However, I've had no problems whatsoever with my iPod - originally used MusicMatch Jukebox to upload and manage my music to it - but now use iTunes. You can also use it in the car via an iTrip which broadcasts the music on a specified frequency that the car radio then picks up.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I went for the 20Gb model because it is slightly slimmer than the 40Gb. There are some accessories which don't take the fatter 40Gb model, most notably the dension car kit I got for mine.
  17. barry toan

barry toan New Member

Is that manufactured by Apple too?
    Some websites say they are illegal in the UK, but presumably you've not encountered this! Is the reception on your car radio good, ie do you lose sound quality?...
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2005
  18. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not manufactured by Apple. Sound is ok - once you find a suitable frequency.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  19. NeilW

NeilW Member

iTrips or any equivalent that broadcast in the Band II (FM 87.5 - 108MHz) frequency allocation are not legal in the UK. I don't believe they are anywhere in Europe in fact.

"Legal" alternatives are Cassette adapters (<£5 in Tesco) and "in the aerial line" FM modulators (£30 - £40 I seem to remember) that don't radiate any signal.

That being said, the very low level of signal that the iTrips produce means they're not detectable far from the car. In itself that can be a problem if your car aerial is effectively screened from the iTrip - you may not find it produces a noise free signal on your own car radio! A number of people I've hears report that the audio quality is poor - but then some report its good, probably depending on the car...

There used to be tales (from the amateur radio world) that if you were found "transmitting illegally" that "any and all associated equipment could be seized". Probably would include the MP3 player and possibly the car in this case!!!

20. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Does anyone know any good mp3 players that are also quite small and not ipod? my mp3 players broken agen!So i need another.