Which Horn?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rach_Horn, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

I am getting a new horn soon :-D But dont really know which to go for , ive played on a sovereign, a yamaha maestro and a courtouis but although i have my favourite i want to know what advice others have :) Thanks!
  2. flatatone

flatatone Member

If it was me I would go for a sovereign as it has a bolder sound, but takes a little more air to fill. Not a yamaha maestro, there is a few notes that are difficult to tune with this make, this is what I play with, but they do have good valves. A courtouis horn I haven't tried.
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Basically you'll be playing on it the rest of your life so go for the one that feels comfortable and that you have the best sound upon
  4. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

^^ yeah, that.
  5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Bought a Yamaha but traded it in for a Sovereign within a month. No comparison. Have never tried or even seen the Courtouis. Valves can take a little getting used to as they seem a little temperamental about finger position and only need to be shown the oil bottle! Nice sound too. (well most of the time, but that's just me. ;) )
  6. cherrybassett

cherrybassett Member

Which Horn

Played on Sovereign and Courtois. I currently play on a Courtois, very rich mellow saound and very easy to blow. My only complaint is make sure the tuning slide is set correctly on the instrument by the maker. We have problems with ours being crooked and they take a lot of greasing to keep them free.

I have had no problems with either Sovereign or Courtois but do find the Courtois easier to blow.
  7. LyndsayB

LyndsayB New Member

I've played for a short time on both Courtois and Besson Sovereign, Courtois is easier to play, but I prefer to play the Courtois. I used to play trombone and so sometimes struggle to keep my sound as 'horn' like as possible and sometime struggle with controlled playing. Besson is def. best for this as it provides that bit more resistance. I also find the Besson easier to play in tune. My fellow horn players in my band all play on the Besson and so its nice that we all do in terms of blending.:D
  8. So many discussions about what horn to buy! for overall playing I would definately go for the sovereign, a courtois horn has serious tuning and intonation issues which could only be rectified by playing in a band full of courtois instruments. Although Yamaha valves are great the overall quality of the instrument in terms of sound, intonation etc are not a patch on a sovereign, and almost every tenor horn player I've ever talked to agrees on this :)

So do yourself a favour and get (in MY opinion) the best!
  9. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Get the Pot Noodle Horn!!
  10. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

ONLY one answer to that question: Sovereign! :clap: (But get a Boosey & Hawkes one if you can, much better than Besson's! Recently got hold of a 1974 model, its lovely!)
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Go for one that suits YOU... so get testing them all out!!!
  12. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

until they release the new ones ;)

until then.. try and OLD sovereign, not the piddly new ones. One with a blue hard case/round stamp on the bell.
    much better all round instruments. yamahas are the best in terms of build quality, courtois are easy to blow but mares to tune unless your whole band plays courtois and prob even then. new sovs are the best of the current bunch but suffer from poor valves and tuning.
    if you can get your hands on an old sovereign then have a go.
  14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ive got one of them. I think. Covered in dents though.... An the case weighs more than the horn (well I think it does.) But its ace, I like it, never tried a different type really though. That really wasnt helpful was it.
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... you could always ask to try other horns at trade stands (... that is, if it doesn't interfere with bands playing in the hall!).
  16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

lol yeh.
    Or I could ask if I could try the spare ones at band, if there are any...
    But I like my horn anyway (even thouh its covered in dents) so theres no point really...
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... there's every point in trying different instruments! You will never know until you try them what you like and don't like. I suppose it's like picking a pair of jeans ... not one make suits everybody! ;)
  18. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I will do, if I remember...But I cant till after easter, unless i break into the band room....
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I used to enjoy myself terrorising the salespeople at trade stands when I was younger ... handling and trying all the instruments and gadgets that were demonstrated. It got rid of the boredom when I wasn't listening to the bands and kept my enthusiasm up when the older players were getting sozzled in the bar! With the silent brass now being available, it shouldn't be much of a problem trying out instruments (... if you twist the salesperson's arm long enough!). :rolleyes:
  20. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Ill probably be like a zillion before i go to a contest. Oh maybe not i think were doing somthing this year no idea what. Id rather get drunk though! ;) :biggrin: