Which finish do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mister 4x4, Jan 20, 2006.

?

Which finish do you prefer?

1. Nickel/Silver lacquered

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Yellow Brass lacquered

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Nickel/Silver unlacqured

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Yellow Brass unlacquered

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Everybody likes different things, so which finish do you prefer on your horn?

Personally, I prefer the nickel/silver plated horns... but I'm really loving my Jupiter, which has both nickel and yellow brass.

2. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I currently own a gold lacquered horn, but would love one that is silver and gold.

3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

silver :D

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Since I haven't bought or looked at instruments for years the only choice I remember was BSP (Bright Silver Plate) or Lacquered Brass. I chose Lacquered Brass 'cos it's easier to keep clean and I'm fundamentally lazy.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

My new flug has a mix of lacquer and nickel plate finish, with a copper bell, and it looks looovely (although some people think three colours is a bit lairy). But it depends on the instrument for me - for some reason I prefer most to be silver plate with flugels and trombones to be lacquered. I don't know why - maybe it's just what I'm used to seeing.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Trombones are funny old things. Of the decent makes (i.e. not Besson), you can only get silver ones to special order and I've never played a good silver one. On my trusty Conn 88H, it's clear lacquer over brass with nickel trim and a rose brass bell. Quite a nice tri-colour effect!

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Bright Silver Plate for me, although the Yamaha Xeno Cornet with the Rose bell etc., looks mighty fine

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Silver, but to have a gold bell would be fantastic!

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

10. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Ben, there is a company called 'Flowers' (i think) based in Borehamwood that can do this for you for about £100. Thought about having my horn done!....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    things
    Everybody
    horn
    silver
    brass
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I usually find "Fine" does the trick ;) :D :oops:

Back on topic: I prefer silverplate, as it seems easier to keep clean - had a satin imperial at one stage and it never looked anyhting like decent :(

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

But I bet it never looked bad either - I had one years ago (an old imperial tenor horn) that never needed cleaning. I think it looked the same when I handed it back to the band as it had done when the band bought it from new 20 or more years earlier!

BSP does look better though, and more wear-resistant than lacquer.

DaveR

14. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Silver plated :D although trombones don't look right silver :tongue:

15. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Bright Silver-Plate for me, I think it sounds better, as well as looks better, and keeps better!

16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Gold

Although the Eclipse Savannah does look very nice.

17. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I prefer the laquered brass look, although I agree that, after a few years, they need re-laquering otherwise they look pretty grim.

Trombones certainly don't seem look right when silver-plated, except for the old Boosey & Hawkes bass trombone in G, which seemed to look wrong in anything else but satin silver plate, and the silver bell version of the Rath R9 bass trombone, which does look cool, for some reason.

For the record, my Rath R9 is laquered yellow brass, with nickel silver in places, and a red brass bell.

18. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I voted silver but agree with the gold bell point. To go slightly off topic I think it looks better if all the band have the same colour of instruments be it either brass or silver.

19. brassbailey

brassbailey Member

Actually Dave its Eddie Flowers,I get all my lacquering and plating done there,great service.Speak to Mr.Urbi.

20. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

My thoughts exactly. But that's almost impossible unless you have an organization that can actually provide instruments for players.

21. the fish

the fish Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    things
    Everybody
    horn
    silver
    brass