Which Czardas for Euphonium?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by agent006, Jun 6, 2013.

1. agent006

agent006 Member

I'm looking to buy an arrangement or Czardas as a Euphonium solo. Is there a standard arrangement? Soloist has played it before but doesn't recall the arranger.

Any ideas?
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Bit of a funny key (euphonium C minor) - a tone up sits much better under the fingers. Can't recall whose version the trombone/euphonium D minor one is - I remember Andy Flaxman used to do a fabulous job of it. Lindberg plays it a tone up from there, in concert D minor...
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

You just 'cheat' on the C minor one and play the Ab on 1st and A nat on 2nd....

...ie molto waglo with one or two fingers...
  5. agent006

agent006 Member

We've already got a trombone (bass trombone of all things) arrangement of it which he had a bash at and made a very good fist of it (as he is prone to) but said it was in an odd key and would prefer the one he has played before. I was somewhat hoping that there would be a go-to arrangement.
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Eric's arrangement is probably the one that populates most libraries for euph players.

The one I played was in the same key but was actually done by Oliver Howarth....Elgar Howarth's father I believe....and was done for cornet.
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

if you follow the links I posted you can see a sample of the dots for the Wilson arrangement - your guy should be able to figure out very quickly wether or not its the one he knows
  8. ben16

ben16 Member

violin solos on euphonium - please no! just because you (think you) can doesn't mean you should.