Which cornet should i buy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vonny, Sep 2, 2005.

1. vonny

vonny Member

I am thinking about buying myself a cornet, but as i am unsure of which particular one i should go for, I need your help - please.

There are so many different types around, and because in the past i haven't had the opportunity to purchase my own i honestly don't know where to begin. I would be very grateful if any suggestions could be made about which one i should buy, and whether or not i should opt for a new or used one...

P.S i am not a complete novice as i know that the jupiter ones aren't too clever ;)

Thank you,

Yvonne x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yvonne x
    opportunity
    complete novice
    suggestions
    different types
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It may help if you can give some indication of the price range you are able to consider.

4. vonny

vonny Member

Oh yeah - thank you for pointing that out peter :oops:

I was thinking around the £500 mark either under or over

Yvonne x

5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Hi Vonny I picked up a belting Soveriegn Bb cornet in 2000, second hand, it was £500. It absolubtely fab!! It's all going to depend on your price range though. I would definitely try before you buy too as what suits one person may not suit another. Good luck!

6. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

The Maestro is getting cheaper second hand, I used to play one and thought it was superb.

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

I always tell my cornet players if they have a naturally big sound and want to thin it down a bit get a Maestro and if they have thin sound and want to fatten it buy a Sovereign.

But who am I only but a failed cornet player - :(

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Play everything and play what works for you.

If it is a Sovereign, play a Sovereign
    If it is a Yamaha, play a Yamaha
    If it is a Getzen, play a Getzen

If it is an Eclipse - you have been to Luton, played the prototype, realised it is an incredible instrument and you have really good taste:biggrin:

If it is a Lafleur - give up and play tenor horn;)

9. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hehehe .
    Like it - that's where I went wrong - obviously.
    Thought the la fleur was the best.;)

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hey! my first ever cornet was a Lafleur...:rolleyes:

But looking back, you're right. It was shocking, just better than the pile of scrap that my band gave me to play.....

Oh and I did play horn for a while too...:eek:

11. demelza

demelza New Member

I can only speak for myself but when I bought my cornet last year, (incidentally a yamaha sop, which I love) my friendly local music shop let me go to a practise room and have a play as long as I liked. It may be worth asking any shops nearby if they have this facility as, like with everything, an instrument one person loves, another will hate!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yvonne x
    opportunity
    complete novice
    suggestions
    different types
  13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'm thinking about floggin my three year old maestro for about £650.

14. vonny

vonny Member

Thank you so very much for your advice! Why can't it just be a simple procedure - like there is only one type of cornet and they manafacture lots, lots and lots... :biggrin:
    I am thinking of getting a yamaha maestro, because what i have read and seen of them they seem a good choice.

Yvonne x

15. rutty

rutty Active Member

The Maestro's are a good instrument. I'd also consider a Stirling of you can find one around that price - I played one for a while and I loved it. Not the best lacquer though.

I play a Sovereign just now. It's a really good instrument although the valves could be better. I'm not sure if you'd find a Prestige for the same money, but they seem to have made some improvements with the newer model.

Would you like any more options? :cool:

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It depends how much of a hurry you're in. If the rumours concerning the impending release of the Yamaha "Xeno" cornet turn out to be true, then it seems reasonable to suppose there might be something of a "glut" of 2nd-hand "Maestros" on the market, forcing the price down further. If you're prepared to wait and see, a better bargain might be found.

Personally, with that kind of budget, I would always advise trying to purchase a 2nd-hand "professional" level instrument in preference to a shiny new "mid-price" model. Funny how often parents seem to prefer the latter option ...

G.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There's a nice looking Maestro on Ebay at the moment. £432 so far, but a couple of days to go still.

18. Di

Di Active Member

When we were deciding which sort of tenor horn to buy, either a maestro or a sov, we tried to take advice from the retailers on which would be the best buy. The main question asked by each of them was "what instruments are played by the rest of the horn players". At the time Vic was in youth band where there were 9 horns! The answer was, they all had sovs. So the unanimous reply from the retailers was to use the same instrument as it would blend better. I don't know whether the same would hold true with a cornet, but I would imagine it would.

19. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I think the mouthpiece used has more impact on blending sounds when it comes to cornets. i.e some players use shallow , bright sound on any cornet, some players use deep, dark sound on any cornet. Not sure there is such a variation in horn mouthpieces.

20. chill

chill Member

I'd strongly recommend you do not buy a particular cornet just because you have heard its ok or good. It's a very individual thing and depends a lot on what type of sound you personally prefer to create and also how you like the cornet to blow.

Some are really easy to blow air through, others like my Besson 928 are harder work, but I like it that way. Some cornets produce a brighter sound, others a fatter more melow sound. As per previous threads, the mouth piece you use also makes a difference.

My recommendation would be to go to a good music store who will be more than happy to let you disappear into a room and play them to your hearts content. A good store will also let you take one home on trial to see if you really do like it.
    But above all, buy what you like to blow and what you like the sound of.
    Unless of course your MD says he/she is lookng for a perticular type of sound, in which case you then have to decide if you want to keep him or her happy :)

Best of luck .. And have lots of fun choosing.
    -Chris
    Principal Cornet
    Sandhust Silver Band

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

22. kiwisop

kiwisop Account Suspended

get a 2nd hand maestro!!!!!!!!!!!