Which cornet gig bag would you buy?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I am looking to buy a couple of cornet gig bags that are big enough to fit a couple of mutes as well as the cornet, but are small enough to fit into a v. small car boot (c. 20 cm wide and 30 cm tall max each bag).

Any suggestions of which make I should get? None of the local music shops to me stock them, so I can't measure any up without travelling miles

Thanks

Neil

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cm wide
    cm tall max
    travelling miles Thanks Neil
    couple of cornet gig bags
    local music shops
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

5. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I love the 'gig bag' bag. It's plenty big enough for my cornet, music and mutes.

They're reflective and are carried like a rucksack leaving your hands free to help with percussion and holding hands with people.

http://www.gig-bags.com/brass_instruments/cornet.htm

6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I'd love to get a gig bag; getting a cornet stand, mute holder and 3 mutes into a Smith-Watkins case is impossible... but to paraphrase a well-known TV programme, "Insurer says no...." :-(

Basically, I can use a gig bag but the minute I put the thing into a car boot or a coach luggage compartment, it's not covered. Leaving it in the holding area at a contest, even with someone else watching and it's not covered. The insurer says to use the (admittedly bulletproof) case it came with.

I can't really fault the insurer as they are very competitive at around £10 per £1k of cost per year, so for the time being, I look at the gig bag displays at contests longingly, but that's all :)

Anyone know if you can buy a purpose-made mute-bag? That would help a lot for me as well as easing the load on the handle of my cornet case !

Andy

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmm have you tried getting a quote from Allianz? I've got £5000 worth of insurance coverage for our various instruments and (OK its more than £10/£1000 of yours- more like £15) its all covered for being left in the boot of the car, and I can use whatever case I want - a good thing considering my flugel came without any case at all!

8. strongbow

strongbow Member

I've just bought the Flugel one of these from http://www.chamberlainmusic.com and it arrived within a couple of days. Certainly got space for bits and pieces in the pocket but wouldn't have thought that mutes would fit in. There is a 'music' bag that would probably be big enough if you didn't want it to hold music.