Which cornet gig bag would you buy?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Sop_Or_Bass?, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I am looking to buy a couple of cornet gig bags that are big enough to fit a couple of mutes as well as the cornet, but are small enough to fit into a v. small car boot (c. 20 cm wide and 30 cm tall max each bag).

Any suggestions of which make I should get? None of the local music shops to me stock them, so I can't measure any up without travelling miles

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I love the 'gig bag' bag. It's plenty big enough for my cornet, music and mutes.

They're reflective and are carried like a rucksack leaving your hands free to help with percussion and holding hands with people.

5. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I'd love to get a gig bag; getting a cornet stand, mute holder and 3 mutes into a Smith-Watkins case is impossible... but to paraphrase a well-known TV programme, "Insurer says no...." :-(

Basically, I can use a gig bag but the minute I put the thing into a car boot or a coach luggage compartment, it's not covered. Leaving it in the holding area at a contest, even with someone else watching and it's not covered. The insurer says to use the (admittedly bulletproof) case it came with.

I can't really fault the insurer as they are very competitive at around £10 per £1k of cost per year, so for the time being, I look at the gig bag displays at contests longingly, but that's all :)

Anyone know if you can buy a purpose-made mute-bag? That would help a lot for me as well as easing the load on the handle of my cornet case !

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmm have you tried getting a quote from Allianz? I've got £5000 worth of insurance coverage for our various instruments and (OK its more than £10/£1000 of yours- more like £15) its all covered for being left in the boot of the car, and I can use whatever case I want - a good thing considering my flugel came without any case at all!
  7. strongbow

strongbow Member

I've just bought the Flugel one of these from http://www.chamberlainmusic.com and it arrived within a couple of days. Certainly got space for bits and pieces in the pocket but wouldn't have thought that mutes would fit in. There is a 'music' bag that would probably be big enough if you didn't want it to hold music.