Which brass?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hollie, Jul 18, 2004.

Which instrument did you start on?

1. Cornet

2. Horn

3. Euphonium

4. Baritone

5. Trombone

0 vote(s)
  6. Bass

7. Flugel

8. Trumpet

1. Hollie

Hollie Member

Hi, I'm sorry if another thread had been done already on this topic.
    I remeber a thread on what instrument did you start playing on, but what BRASS instrument did you start playing on?
    Did you stay on it?
    I started on cornet and still am playing ans lovin' it!
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

*cough* you forgot the best instrument in the band... :cry:

Mine was horn (for a week if that counts...), however I have a feeling that some people do actually start on flugel.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Horn > baritone > bass trombone > bass for me, although I've filled in on various instruments at different times.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I fell in love with a large chunk of metal piping at the age of 11, and despite a few years playing baritone and euph went back to it and am still with it.

There is no other instrument.
  5. Hollie

Hollie Member

Sorry flugelgal, I typed flugel in last but when I submitted it it didn't show up!
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I started on cornet... then Eb bass... trombone... tenor horn... and played most of the other instruments in the band for a laugh at some stage... havent tried flugel or sop yet... but one day!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  7. PeterBale

I've added the Flugel option for you.
  8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Started on cornet, moved to trumpet then on to tenor trombone and then on to bass trombone then back on to tenor again.
  9. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I started on trumpet :!: and then moved onto cornet.

Should I poll cornet or wait to see if anyone adds trumpet to the list of instruments?
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Quite. Can we add an option for trumpet? There is 'brass' life other than brass bands, you know... honest. Mate o' mine told me in the pub. ;-)
  11. PeterBale

Your wish is my command (although I've not added "french horn" yet :oops: )
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank you Peter. Now I can reveal that I actually started musical life on the violin! ;-) Only lasted about 10 weeks as the house cat started getting a little amorous when he heard it... ;-) (Seriously, though, I was never cut out to be a violinist! Too highly strung......) Trumpet came after.
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Once I started on Eb Bass, my mum made me try piano and violin. (But not both at the same time) I have hated those two instruments with a vengence ever since. :twisted: I think she thought it would get me off my addiction, but sadly - for her and the neighbours - I never got past the boxing gloves and dying cat stages with either. Once brass is in your blood, there's nothing you can do. :)

I used to have to practice in a field, sitting on a large rock, but the neighbours still used to complain. The cows were happy though! :roll:

BTW: The vile-inn thing ended up being thrown off the back of a bus when I forgot to take it off one day and the piano became a home for some field mice (who left the field when I started to practice in it, no doubt). Once mum realised this she got rid of the piano in short order and I sneaked the remains of the vile-inn back into the school store room without anyone being the wiser.

Is confession really good for the soul? :dunno
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

You're not lynchie in disguise are you? ;-) (Joke, lynchie.... ;-))
  15. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

If we're talking about what instrument we started music on, for me it was the voice (at age 4), I've actually got grade 8 in singing (although if you heard my warbling now you'd be pushed to see how).
  16. bennem

bennem Member

tenor horn (boy I was disappointed as I thought they were going to give me a french horn) then to Trumpet and (after turning up at a brass band with my trumpet) to cornet.

Wouldn't mind trying a flugal at some point.
  17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Started on a Tenor Horn that was donated to be by my auntie before joining a brass band.
    Haved since been on Baritone, Euph, Eb Bass, Bb Bass and Tenor Trombone :!: :p
  18. Ali

Ali Member

I started on Trombone at the age of 9, whilst living in the Philipines. I always wanted to play jazz but my arms were too short. When I came back to England, I asked my school if they had a trombone for me to carry on with. I was given a BBb bass and was told" try that for size". I have since then filted between the EEb and BBb, before finally setteling for the 'beast'. Great fun it is too! If I didnt play the bass, then I would be a timp player I think.
  19. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I started on Eb Bass nine years ago at the grand old age of "^$* and never wanted to change!

For those who like to go "Aaaah" here is Stephen2001's first encounter with a brass instrument!

20. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

^ so cute!!!!! :lol: