Which Bass trombone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Basstiger, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I am after a 2nd hand bass trombone preferably with independent set up and open wrap valves. Realistically I have about 1k to spend or part x my existing Holton TR181. I was after a Yamaha 613H ideally but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth.
    I had looked about at the cheaper new instruments (Peter Gane, Virtuosi, Elkhart etc) but am put off by their price tag....I am of the opinion that a good 2nd hand instrument is a better buy than a cheap new one.
    If anyone has anything to add to the above or know here I might come by a 613H I would be most grateful.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trombone
    Bass
    bass trombone
    set
    instruments
  3. geo123

geo123 New Member

When I bought my TR-181, I also tried the new Yamaha Xeno 830, and preferred the sound out of the Holton. It was a very early 181 though and the quality does vary between instruments. I actually owned another one for a short time, which was one of the very last ones, which was no where near as good. Only a few weeks after I bought it the lacquer started coming off! The Yamaha's are built very well though. The slide and the rotors on the Xeno 830 I tried were very good.

Your definitely right in choosing a 2nd hand instrument over a new one for your price range though.
    Good luck in finding a new instrument

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You certainly have more choice than serious tenor players. We have the choice of Conn88H or nothing. Most serious bass trombonists are using a Conn 62, Holton 181, Edwards or Rath. Band players have more choice, but the orchestral pros are mostly using the Conn 62. If you look carefully enough you'll find a thread on here somewhere that lists all the top players and what they play.

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I'm confused Bass Trumpet, in your post you state 'We (serious tenor players) have the choice of Con88H or nothing'

but your signature has the comment 'the author reserves the right not to be taken seriously!'

are you serious or not?

maybe your serious when you are playing tenor trom but you do not have to be taken seriously when conducting?

see you Thursday ;-)