Which Bands impressed you most now the area's are over

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by critic, Mar 24, 2005.

1. critic

critic Member

Now all the area contests are over which bands impressed and which can go on to better things. That covers all the sections in what as been a hectic few weeks.
    wHAT AS YOUR BAND LEARNED FROM THE CONTESTS.i

2. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

The only section I saw was championship in Yorkshire (and that was about 5 or 6 of 'em) thanks to rehearsal constraints meaning I couldn't attend the other sections. :)

So definately Grimey, although doubtless there would have been others had I been to some more areas.

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Norfolk Wherry.

Great start to their career, and watch out Harrogate. (O' course, they'll only finish second behind Fulham :biggrin:)

W

4. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

From the areas I didn't hear I would like to say a huge well done to bands that exceeded the general expectations of the banding world , In particular the players of:-

Newtongrange
    Woolley Pritchard
    Bournemouth

Well done to you all for your undoubting hard work and skills proving it whats you do on stage not your name that matters.

In the London Area Redbridge were superb (again) and congratulations again to Wantage Silver A for a great 3rd place in section 1. Finally as Will says above Norfolk Wherry were very impressive in winning section 4 so good luck to them in Harrogate.

Ian

5. loved listning to the champ section in yorkshire and afew at blackpool, any got any coments on the standerd of winning performances in the 2nd section comperd agains each other? ( was ours the best?:wink: ). best performance has got to be grimethorpe!

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Having heard Tam O'Shanter at both the NW and London areas, I have to say I was quite impressed with the Jersey Premier Brass...the really took the piece to a level that I heard nobody else play.

Having also heard Rienzi at the NW and LSC, I have to say that for the 'easy' piece it was supposed to be, I was quite disappointed not to here any band just nail it to the wall, making me say "yeah...that's how itshould be done" (then again, I missed both winners, Leyland and Redbridge, but I did here 2nd and 3rd from both regions).

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Listened to Sellers because my one of my bezzy mates (and breakfast buddy) was on Bass Trom...

Thought their interpretation was a little different but overall I was very impressed...

I love their Solo Horns sound... :D I wannit... :mad:

8. lewis

lewis Member

Cheers ;)

Got to say we were pretty happy with our performance. You never really know how it sounds off the stage though as it is probably the worst acoustic I've ever played in. Looking forward to Blackpool, all three halls have a good acoustic for bands.

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I didn't mean anything bad by that lewis. Alliance, Fairey's, Foden's, Aveley...they were all very good (better than our band), but with how easy the piece looked on paper, I really expected somebody to just play it perfect.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  10. tim

tim Member

I was very impressed with Chester-le-Street at the northern area. In my opinion the most musical performance of the day!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    things
    BAND
    CONTESTS.
    Bands
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Sellers...i think they should have come a lot higher than sixth

13. Chris Sanders

Thought they were very good, but the bands that came above them are class...

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yeah agree with you, and they are totally ****** now they aint got

THE FRIDGE!!

15. Chris Sanders

Im missing him already... Ive gone two fridays now without our morning fry-up... Its killing me... Although he cant eat as much as I can, his ideas and suggestions towards food should be an inspiration to us all...

16. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Only went to Midland Area played in 1st section but heard sections 4,3&Championship.
    Look at my reports in the Midlands thread but for me
    Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass
    Long Eaton Silver(3rd Section)
    Kirkby Colliery(4th section)
    were the bands of the Midlands Area for me:clap:

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was particularly impressed with Staines (as I was last year) and I reckon they should do well at Harrogate and should more than hold their own in the top section next year.

18. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Camborne 'B' Band did it for me, they competed in the 3rd section in the West of England regionals and came 5th, they were amazing and there average must have only been about 15! I was (and still am) in complete Awe of their Soprano player who I believe is only 12 years old and was absolutely brilliant!

Fi
    xx

19. wyldehorn

wyldehorn New Member

Well, in the Scottish regionals, in all of the sections, the winners were not the ones who impressed me. I didn't, however, hear the fourth section.

20. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Meaning the judges got it wrong? Surely not :-D

Jane
    Dalmellington Band

21. becks164

becks164 Member

ive got to say the championship section for yorkshire were amazing, never heard any of them play glad i stayed and went bk to uni day after!! they all sounded amazing the final 6 places were a bit of a surprise but to be honest grimey deserved to win cause it was good

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    area
    things
    BAND
    CONTESTS.
    Bands