Which bands have adopted the competitive streak?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by vonny, Mar 13, 2006.

1. vonny

vonny Member

Brass banding is an interesting domain I think, especially when individuals within bands become competitive. What has happened to the community spirit? I was in a situation a week or so ago where I played particulary bad in a rehearsal, and I felt that I was being labelled as a 'bad' player. In fact It was my interpretation of what was being said to me that was the problem. I went home after rehearsal feeling a bit down and I was thinking lots of negative stuff... I realised though that within a brass band you have to be ready to take constructive critisim, and then put the situation right...
    Also I hear too many times people saying this and that about other bands to the point which they are being nasty...
    I'm all for being a part of a effective team, who work together in doing there best....

Yvonne x
  2. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Well said Vonny!!!

Noone should be made to feel like they're inferior (even if they are struggling) in a team situation. Surely the band should look to improve people's playing and confidence? Speaking as someone who's been muddling through on their weakest instrument in a very good band, I've never been made to feel like a "bad" player (although most of the time I know when I've stuffed up!) and noone should feel like that.

Some people tend to get over-competitive though - it's sad but it's becoming a fact of life as some people have a naturally competitive personality and when in a pressure situation can say things that get taken out of context...

Did any of that make sense??

Rach x
  3. The other son

The other son Member

In my opinion, competitiveness in something of a double edged sword.

In one sense, if you're playing a bit sub-standard as to what you're used to, and someone collars you about it, it's a bit of a pain in the backside. Especially since half the time you realise it yourself without someone pointing out the obvious.

Perhaps someone has something more on their mind than band at the time (see my playing during exam time)

However, to play devils advocate - if you are indeed playing below what standard you've had set for you, you cant expect to just sit there and get better of it's own accord.

I once heard it said by someone (not a bandsman) that womanhood/manhood is not measured by your success, but by what you learn and how you deal with your losses.

.....a free pint to who can tell me who said it by the way.

Personally, I like competitiveness. I often hear it mentioned that it takes a while to get a true burning competitive passion for banding, but once you have it, it becomes an addiction.
  4. Jughead

Jughead New Member

Was it Mr Kippling who said it, or did he say the one about treating triumph and disaster both as imposters and you will be a man ! to be p.c. you would have to say" you will be a person !" or is that just silly, have i won a free pint ?
  5. vonny

vonny Member

Sure it makes sense :)

I really feel part of a team in my band, and encouraging to!

Yvonne x
  6. The other son

The other son Member

Cheers for the PC comment, even though I should have reread my own comments.

Damn my lack of proof reading ability.

And no, you were no where near.

The person I heard say it (and someone may have said it before him) was Randy Couture.

A now retired mixed martial artist. 2 time Heavyweight Ultimate fighting champion, two time lightheavyweight ultimate fighting champion.

Do I need to get out more?

....no one ever wins a free pint from me. It ALWAYS costs them. I am a money grabbing student y'know.

Nothing better than going to hear your brother's band, and still getting him to buy you a pint when he's finished playing.

Me? Spend MY ill gotten gains? No chance :cool:

and time to ask a silly question... but is that you in your pic? I'm sure I've seen you before somewhere
  7. vonny

vonny Member

Excuse me, but could you please explain the relevance this reply as to my initial post?
  8. The other son

The other son Member

......you know... I dont think I can.:-?

Nevermind *saunters off*

EDIT - neither did Jughead's post. Sorry Jughead, but if I'm going down, I'm taking people with me

EDIT x 2 - I suppose that technically that means this post is spam too. Sorry
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for noticing, now can we get back onto vonny's original topic please?
  10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Two posts removed for off-topicness. Did I just waste my breath?

Topic. Please.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Personally I'm someone who struggles a little with the 'competitive music' paradox (says he playing in a top section yorkshire band :-? ). I can't handle old school MDs. I reckon the huge majority of people in my generation (I'm 21) respond better to encouragement rather than bully boy tactics. I'm all for healthy competition and wanting to do your best, because ultimately it's only by doing your best that you can feel truly fulfilled, but I think sometimes it does go too far and it all gets a bit serious.
  12. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

I agree with Jonesy, (and I'm 24 for the record)...not a fan of the bullying!

Hate comments like 'there are plenty of people waiting to sit in your seat' as it just makes me wana head for the door leaving the seat wide open for them!!

I guess it depends on why you joined a band - if you wana play at the highest level then you've gotta have some of that fighting spirit.
    But if like me you just go to chill out and see your mates then it can get really annoying. I deliberatly joined a lower section band who would take a student part-timer due to intense course and have had more pressure/competitiveness thrown at me than ever before - crazy!!

I hasten to add that (for the most part ;)) I love my band :D
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Yeah, and moreover the point is that, in 2006, there really AREN'T plenty of people waiting to sit in your seat unless you're in one of a handful of bands. For goodness sake YBS were even advertising for TWO cornet vacancies for quite a few weeks recently. This is why I don't think conductors can afford to treat people like rubbish in the pursuit of glory in competitions etc- if you upset players, they'll disappear and thesedays there really aren't loads of players waiting to step into your seat and you'll end up with half a band.
  14. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Just to play Devil's Advocate!

Sometimes a conductor may have the situation where a player 'thinks' they are the bees knees, when actually they aren't, and who also refuses to accept that their playing is not at the standard it should be. Sometimes a 'subtle' threat that they may be replaced if they don't buckle down, actually gets these players to work harder and improve.

However, as someone has already pointed out, it does depend what level the band wants to play at. It's no good having the majority of players working really hard to improve the standard of the band, if there are 1 or 2 who refuse to admit their standard is not good enough or are not improving and not willing to listen to constructive critisism.

On the other hand (;) ), because there is not a queue of players waiting to jump into your seat, it may encourage the conductor to work that bit harder with you to help you improve, and not use the easier option of having you replaced.

Generally, in our band, no-one pulls anyone else down (not to their faces anyway :biggrin: ), so we generally have a happy, relaxed time both at rehearsals and engagements.
  15. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

I think you will find that Mr Kippling said "I make exceedingly good cakes";)
  16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

From 'The Scotsman' website (http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=379472006):

17. bigcol

bigcol Member

I hate the competitive side of banding - someone was harassing me yesterday about 4barsrest predictions and the associated one-upmanship and it really did my nut in. Having in the last 12 months come anywhere between 1st and 2nd last in contests it does show how random the whole contesting lark can be.
  18. vonny

vonny Member

Thank you to all whom posted genuine and considerate replies to my thread :)
    I like to laugh and joke about stuff myself sometimes - there is nothing wrong with that, but those people who choose to take the 'mick' are obviously being disrespectful :(
  19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have got to say in our band notrhing like that goes on at all.
    If a player is finding the going a bit difficult in their part then help is always on hand, by writing the part out different or spilting it up to make it easier to play.
    Voyage Of Discovery springs to mind i bet with many cornet and lower end of the band sections parts the first few opening bars.
    I would like to bet no one played all the right notes on the day of the contest in the semi quaver runs.
    At the end of the day you are trying your best, and that what counts:clap:
  20. vonny

vonny Member

Nice one Mr Perks :D