Which Band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Jan 12, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello people, I need some help!

My mums just had an operation and won't be able too play for about 2 months, and therefore I have no lift to band! (My band is 20+ miles from where I live!)

There is however a 4th Section band (Bideford) (my band is 3rd section) in the town that I live, that I could walk too.

BUT! The MD of Bideford Band used to be the principal euph (until just before christmas) of my current band (SMTB) and his wife plays 2nd cornet in my current band. Soooo I sort of could get a lift of Gillian but its kind of complicated cus I want to go to band all the time and not rely on other people! I can take myself to band if I go to Bideford :tongue:

So what do I do? Because I know when I ring Gary tonight, he'll probably say I can get a lift with Gillian!

I suppose I'd best mention I've not been 100% happy at SMTB recently for various reasons (i'm not going into them :tongue: ) and I'm not sure whether going to Bideford will be a temporary measure or not :tongue:

Please help me!
    Thanks in advanced
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Ooh your poor Mum. Hope she's OK and recovers quickly.

Have you ever played with Bideford before? Do you know anyone apart from the MD? If you're unhappy with your present band, for whatever reason, as well as it being difficult to get to, it could be worth giving it a go. Go with what makes you happy.
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like an ideal opportunity to try a new band "for size" using the lift issue as your convenient excuse. If you decide you don't really like it at Bideford you then haven't burnt any bridges with your existing band and it would be easier to go back.

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Get a lift for just one of the SM practices each week and go to Bideford for the other practice. Then you can see which you prefer.

Hope the Mummy recovers well.
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Whatever you do, at this time of year decide quickly. Personally speaking, for a 2 month period I would stick with the band I'm in until after the area and then take stock at that point.

Hope your mum gets well soon.
  6. meandmycornet

Hmmm well my mum and brother used to play with Bideford.... a loooooong time ago, and I played in the beginners band :tongue: I think I was probably about 7! I know one or two people I think.

The only problem is as Anno Draconis says (in a round about way!) SMTB may hate me if I go to Bideford :tongue: because I'm sure word would get out straight away! (I sit next to Gill who is the wife of Bideford's MD at SMTB!!) I reckon there's only 1 person who would properly miss me! Hmmmm I think.... I'm guna phone Gary and ask him I can go tonight (pretty certain they rehearse tonight!) just to see what its like... and also to have a blow! I've practiced practically everyday but I have been to band since christmas eve :(:(:(

thank you people.... anymore suggestions more than welcome!
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

You could always go to both, and not contest with one?
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Is whatever is making you unhappy at SMTB fixable? If not, then you are probably better cutting your losses. If you don't enjoy being with your band, then what is the point? :confused:

I'm sure that the band would understand that Bideford is on your doorstep, and especially while you are without transport it makes sense to go there. If SMTB hate you for going somewhere else, then they aren't worth bothering with ;). They should be thanking you for making a 40 mile round trip for so long......

In the words of my boss, suck it and see. Or in more conventional English, try Bideford Band, and if you like it then you are in a better position to make an informed decision.

Good luck!

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Well said. I don't know the local politics (are the 2 bands arch-rivals, or anything?) but apart from a few miserable scrotes - there are 1 or 2 in most bands! - I'm sure the majority of SMTB would thank you for your input and look forward to a pint at the area. Especially if you made it clear you would happily help them out when they need a dep but really don't want to have to rely on other people for your lifts to & from band (and jobs, and contests...).

Bottom line: if they are your mates, they will respect your choice and not "hate you". If they're not your mates, why worry what they think?
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

3 words for ya....

go to bideford....

11. persins

persins Member

Having played down in that neck of the woods for a while, I understand what Fi says about being hated for joining the "rivals". Torbay and Totnes were like that when I was playing for Torbay! It would have been unthinkable for anyone to switch between those two bands. I'm sure it has changed a lot since I was there though.

My advise would be to give Bideford a try to see what it's like. You can use the excuse that you cannot easily get to South Molten at the moment and then see how it goes.

I hope your Mum gets better soon.

Simon / Rupert!
  12. meandmycornet

I didn't go to Bideford tonight :( Mummy rung me and asked if I wanted to go and visit her :tongue: so I did! and then Dad took me to pizza hut for tea!

I'm definately guna go to Bideford on Monday though, I'll phone Gary tomorrow and ask him if its ok :tongue:

and yes Mr Simon/Mr Rupert (two names! how cool!) your very right about the whole rivalry thing :tongue:
  13. persins

persins Member

Cheers Fi!!
    I think you're making a good decision to at least try it out. That way you will be able to compare the bands from personnal experience. You might find that you want to go back to South Molton but by trying Bideford out, you'll get a better idea about which one you prefer.
    Last I heard, the rivalry between Torbay and Totnes had cooled a little but that might just be because I'm now a bit further out of the loop!

btw, the Rupert name is a uni nickname that stuck while I was working in the Red Cow pub in Exeter! Fantastic pub, shame it closed!
  14. meandmycornet

I don't think I'll ask why exactly your Rupert though! :tongue:

Uncle Stevey from band was in work tonight and he said (bless'im) that if he's not working he'd come and pick me up all the way from south molton and take me to band and then take me home again afterwards! I dunno whether to accept cus it'd be like 80+ miles for him!!

I'm pretty certain i'm still guna go to bideford just to see what its like, I think I'll regret NOT going if I don't!
  15. Di

Di Active Member

Pardon?? ;)
  16. meandmycornet

Yeah ok so i'm officially thick! :tongue: thanks mumsie! lol! :D
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I work there!! But obviously not the one you went too because it's too far up north...!

Anyway, I think you should definitely go to a Bideford rehearsal, see what it's like, and if you don't like it, you'll know not to go again!

Hope your mummy gets well soon :)
  18. meandmycornet

Up north me? I don't think so! I'm in devon too you know! You play in Charlie's band don't you? I like Charlie he's nice and he's can't have play trombone!

Anyway yes I'm going to go to Bideford at least once :D
  19. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

North Devon. Well, further North than me...Anywhere outside of Cornwall is up north to me!! :D Yeah Charlie's cool! Haven't actually heard him play before though...! I expect he's pretty good!!!