Which arrangement of Abide With Me is this?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JRH, Nov 12, 2010.

1. JRH

JRH Member

I know there is a recording of Black Dyke playing Abide with Me that is listed as being arranged by Goff Richards, but I don't think the above is that version, or am I mistaken?

Is this the Philip Wilby arrangement instead? If it is, am I correct in thinking that the way to get the parts for this is through the "Black Dyke Hymn Book volume 1"?
  2. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's the Philip Wilby arrangement either. The arrangements in the "Black Dyke Hymn Book" are a bit more "experimental" (a better word for "unusual" ;) ) than the one in the video.

Could it be just the version from the little red Salvation Army book?
  3. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Sounds like the version from 120 hynms (the red book) simple but very effective.
  4. HannahLouise

HannahLouise Member

You're right, its definately not the Goff Richards one. I think it might just be the red book with a few added extra bits?
  5. tubamouse

tubamouse New Member

I think it's Karl Jenkins arrangement
  6. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Its two verses straight out of the red tune book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just with some part swops. Arrangement by The Bandmaster (aka Ray Steadman Allen)
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'd agree, it sounds like the "red book" version to me. Although there are a couple of differences between the two verses; in particular in the 2nd verse there are 4 descending crotchets in the bass line of bar 12 which are not played in verse one. I don't have the red books to hand, so I don't know if they've been added to verse 2 or removed from verse 1 ...
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've traced the recording to here with the time length and given that two straight verses are played, it points in the direction of RSA. Didn't Dinnington record the same arrangement on their CD?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  9. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

The karl jenkins is spot on however Philip wilby arrangements are always well crafted
  10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

They've been removed from verse 1. Those four descending crotchets are one of those moments that make a bass player's life worth living.... :D