Where's Wakeman ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Walterplinge, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Walterplinge

Walterplinge New Member

Oh Dear – what a pickle !
    In preparation for the annual trek to Bradford on Sunday for the Yorkshire Area contest I sat down tonight with my flask and score of “Journey to the Centre of the Earth” and put on my recording of same.
    Well,as far as arrangements go Mr.Graham has IMHO taken a few too many liberties with this classic score.
    Where has he put those slightly out of tune vocals in the opening section ?
    I looked all the way through the baritone parts – the obvious place for anything slightly out of tune – but no sign.
    Worst of all he has completely left out the amazing keyboard work of prog. rock god Mr.Rick Wakeman.
    Perhaps Mr.Graham should stick to composing and leave the arranging to the experts.
    Yours confused
    Walter Plinge
    ( soon to be Dr. )

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rick Wakeman.
    FONT=Times New Roman
    few
    score
    FONT
  3. julestools

julestools Active Member

YES Sorry but it had to be said.

xx

Jules (old enough to remember)

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Erm, I think you may be mistaken here.
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth is a composition based on the book, not the film... A recent symposium at the University of Salford given by Professor Graham himself, showed that this composition is an original work. There are stylistic references to other composers, the most obvious being a reference to the Matrix score.

5. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

walter!

lovely to hear from you again! i too, as you know, have a penchant for early 70's progressive rock. i find it frightens the birds away, and wakemans keyboard playing especially i find most stimulating, often more so than prunes say. are you seriously trying to me field marshall graham has ignored this? why...why, i'm alsost incadecent with being very slightly irratated at his so-called arranging skills. however, i fear you may have lost our composer friend and some of the younger audience.

uncle eric

(i use the term composer friend with the greatest respect, and younger audience with similar amount of respect, and without wanting to cause offence to anyone on this messageboard i humbly take my leave this evening very shortly, not before saying that anyone who likes early 70's progressive rock i also wish to let it be known that it is a respectable medium, and i don't in any way mean to patronise it. and i wouldn't want to finish this post without apologising profusely to both mr. peter graham for deliberately mistitling him, and to anyone else that finds the use of any 'humour' or 'sarcasm' unnessacary in my posting. i hold my head in shame-and i will try and be serious and bow down to the more frequent posters on the site, be more sensible, and treat threads with thought and the serious energy they deserve. i apologise once again to anyone else not previously mentioned-and humbly promise not to approach any thread at tmp with a frivolous attitude in the future)

p.s. therefore friends, there should not be any need to send me private messages with veiled threats throughout. i can tell you, it probably would quite put me (and our ada) off our supper!

6. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I must agree. I think the Rick Wakeman version is much better than the Peter Graham version, and I'm disappointed that although Peter Graham has included vocals in the work, he has made no effort to include Wakeman's tremendous keyboard solos or the orchestral timbres of his opus.

However, I also think that it is not the best of Wakeman's music. The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table is a much better work. Will this be the test piece for the Nationals?

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I believe in fact that this years test-piece will be Frank Bernaert's arrangement of Tales from the Topographic Oceans. In view of the fuss about Enigma and The Planets Kapitol promotions has decided that this work will be given in it's full 81 minute, four-movement glory; unfortunately this will mean that the contest will last approximately 27 hours not including changeovers between bands or adjudicators comfort breaks. Expect the results around 3pm on Sunday.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and the first section piece will be Ollias of Sunhillow.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Didn't maestro wakeman do King Arthur on Ice , wouldnt that be a test...albert hall , ice , would sort out the bands...a competition on ice!!!! Awesome sight to see!

10. Uncle Eric
    I would agree that it would be best to avoid humour and sarcasm in any of you further posts. These 2 art-forms appear to be lost on several of our esteemed members.
    I look forward to your future sensible, thoughtful contributions, with perhaps any extra energy being used in the performance of a spell-check....

11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

This thread is sailing Close to the Edge, Squire

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rick Wakeman.
    FONT=Times New Roman
    few
    score
    FONT
  13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I hate to be the Relayer of bad news but I hear that Rick Wakeman has a Criminal Record.
    Howe we've all got involved in this Drama I don't know. These memories of our Yesterdays has made me feel quite Fragile

14. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

and you and i seem to agree in a roundabout way.

15. Walterplinge

Walterplinge New Member

There may be references to scores by your mate Rix but surely there should be more references to the "Journey" as penned by the original composer Mr.Richard Christopher Wakeman ?
    Has he taken them all out because there just isn't room on the stage for a full symphony orchestra,choir and rock band ( plus all the amps,woofers and tweeters )
    in addition to the brass band in his score ?
    Perhaps he should have left the band out and kept all the rest in ?
    yours,
    Walter Plinge
    ( soon to be Dr. of Brassbandology )

16. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I am trying to understand something here, is there a link between Peter Graham's Journey......and Rick Wakeman's? Anyway, I am just basking in the warmth of seeing the name Rick Wakeman on tMP, "happy days". I think I may even find that vinyl LP I was given for my 21st in 1972, "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" by Rick Wakeman, and arrange one of them.

It is not everyone who can say that Rick bought me a pint at The White Bear in Hounslow in 1969, when he was beginning his pop career with "The Strawbs".

17. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Let me see if I can help with some of the confusion here. Someone is trying (very hard) to make a joke, based on the coincidence of titles between Graham's piece and the classic Yes album.

I'm not passing any kind of judgment on the quality of said joke. ;)

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Gosh the Strawbs - saw them play at Sheffield City Hall many years ago - sort of folksy prog rock band. What about some Rory Gallagher or ELP arrangements for next years areas?

19. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

No peeps what would really take the audience by storm is some King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generatorarrangements, that tortured angst of Messrs Fripp and Hamill would go down well. Or to bring it really up to date how about Radiohead?

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm also in favour of King Arthur being used as a test piece. Perhaps we could even get him and brave Sir Robin in to adjudicate.