Where's best to watch the whit marches?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn-girlie, May 31, 2006.

1. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

This year, my parents have decided that they're going to go and watch the Whit marches, but they dont know which venues are good! and i cant really help, as I've only played in the Tameside area, but they want to go to Saddleworth. Any suggestions?! somewhere nice (preferably a nearby pub to keep an eye on football scores :rolleyes: ) with somewhere to sit for the evening :D
    thanking you in advance xxx
  2. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

Delph is Fab! We went 2 years ago 72 bands!!! including Fodens & Brighouse. Take your own chairs though! lots of pubs, lovely fish & chips and a great atmosphere would certaily recommend ubt get there early:tup
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Dobcross is always a really good atmosphere too, but most spectators and the top bands tend to head for Delph I think.
  4. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

Delph is by far the best especially later in the evening, the atmosphere is electric
  5. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Dobcross is a nice location, especially if they get the lights up, and it gets fairly busy later. Well, it was last time I went anyway.
  6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I'd say Dobx, especially as the night gets late!
  7. chizzum

chizzum Member

Upermill hands down!
  8. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

delph gets my vote.

hopefully (if all goes to plan) my band should be ending up there and sinking a few soft drinks .....;)
  9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Whit Friday

I'm sure Delph and Uppermill would offer the best atmosphere but I am sure they would prefer the more tranquil environment of either Dobcross or Denshaw!! I really liked Dobcross last year...if that was the one you marched down hill and played under a tree in a square.
  10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Delph or Dobcross for me - Uppermill tends to have too many under-age drinkers and Scouthead is nice but too cold (on top of the hills!).
  11. winterman

winterman Member

The Drighlington Band Quiz Team will be spending their hard earned winnings at Delph again this year, we normally stop off for a quick couple of bands and pints at Denshaw enroute (not playing again this year)! Cracking atmosphere there.
  12. Colin D

Colin D Member

Uppermill can be a bit rough and ready, I had a bottle thrown at my head one year on the march! I didn't think my playing was quite that bad...

Greenfield and Dobcross offer plenty of options for sitting around; Delph has a great atmosphere but is very busy around the contest square. Lydgate is a nice little venue as well, decent beer and the opportunity to watch brass band slalom round the bollards at the top of the hill!

Wherever they go, I'm sure they'll enjoy it :eek:)
  13. I went to Delph a few years ago and that was good. It's popular with the good bands. Only snag is the crush when a good band comes into the contest square - I really do mean crush - we found it quite uncomfortable...

I'd avoid uppermill - plenty of bands do too!
  14. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I live not to far from there, Uppermill is very rough and is hard to get in and out of, Dobcross is ok, but a some bands miss it because its easy to get caught up there.

Almost all bands do delph, plus its really easy to get to, its about 5 mins from junction 22 of M62.
  15. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Delph is my favourite.
  16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep, me too :D
  17. Baritone Matt

Baritone Matt New Member

Greenfield always friendly and plenty to do. Delph is good as well.
  18. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Delph! It gets the most bands! Its got a pub right next to the contest arena thing and lovely chips! I was there in 2004.... and listened to every single band! it was amazing! Go to delph!