Where to go to buy new instrument

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GER, Apr 7, 2017.

1. GER

GER Member

Hi,
    I'm in the market for a new/2nd hand cornet. I live in South Yorkshire. has anybody any recommendations for shops with a good selection of instruments to try, preferably reasonably local.
    Last time I bought an instrument it was from Kitchens in Leeds which probably shows how old I am!!

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I know it's a bit far, bbut you could do a lot worse than The Music Cellar in Preston.

3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Band Supplies have a shop in Leeds: Home page | Band Supplies . Never been there and don't recall doing any mail order with them but I would suspect that they are worth investigation.

I have my own instruments, but have mixed feelings about that and how much money to spend on them - a lot of capable people can and do play at grade 8 level on the better quality student instruments. Whilst it's worth having something acceptable of your own (to be independent of your current band) IMHO a band worth belongoing to will (typically) have a decent/"professional" instrument to lend to you. It's your hard earned money and your choice.

Michael Walls likes this.
  4. David Evans

David Evans Member

But not 'every band worth belonging to' has a store of instruments; we have no venue, no instruments, no stands and little music but we managed to get to Cheltenham in a few months time so every so often Cinderella does get to go to the ball.
    I know it's a long way but Dawkes at Maidenhead are extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

5. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Well done on your result. Is it Regent Community Brass? No one called David Evans in it though?

I agree with you that 'not every band worth belonging to has a store of instruments' which is why (in my comment above) I put the word 'typically' in brackets, not all bands are the same hence your good result with seemingly limited resources.

6. David Evans

David Evans Member

No, RCB were formed in 2012 so a bit older than us, I believe they have an impressive organisation behind them too as they have charitable status.
    I missed the 'typically' of your post, sorry, my fault but we have to do everything on the cheap and it was spectacles or an instrument!

7. GER

GER Member

Hi Thanks for your replies. Music cellar in Preston looks good. Alan Gregory in Manchester has a good website, has anybody had dealings with them please?

8. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

I had problems buying online with Alan Gregory. They sent me a trumpet fit mouthpiece despite specifying a cornet one. When I returned it, they claim they didn't receive it so I had to go through the hassle of making a claim via the courier insurance. Also, they didn't have a cornet one to replace it with. Clearly purchasing in person will avoid such issues, but it did leave me feeling cautious of purchasing from them again.

9. Feel My Rath

Feel My Rath Member

I've been and bought from Alan Gregory in person with no issues (never used them online). The staff were good and helpful and matched their online prices in store. I tried 3 different pro-level trombones that day and the wife tried several sax mouthpieces, we were there a good 4 hours with a member of staff looking after each of us/offering advice and guidance. I have heard terrible things about their online store, however.

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I had problems with the online store when trying to buy a flugel mouthpiece which was advertised on the website as in stock. Turned out it wasn't and it took several months for this to be acknowledged and then a little longer for my money to be returned as they were unable to get the mouthpiece after all. I wouldn't use it again but if you can go in person it's probably fine.

11. GER

GER Member

Hi
    Thanks everybody for your input. I will be going in person, probably visit both, will let you know how I get on