Where to buy good quality music for section 4 band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IYOUNG, Jan 6, 2004.

IYOUNG Member

Hi All

For the new year i'm after some good quality original music for the 4th section band I conduct.

I'm tired :cry: of the same stuff droned out year after year. I have a wodge of cash from my treasurer ( she's good like that :D ) but where to start looking ?

tried the usual places but nothing much original, Roger provided a couple over xmas ( thanks Roger - blinding delivery service ! )

So any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ian Young
    Marlow Band
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Here's my offering. it might appear in your 'same old stuff' category, but for me, it's good quality original music, (unless you mean 'fairly new' instead of original?) some contest orientated, some concert orientated - playable by section 4 bands that like a bit of a challenge.

Haslemere Suite - Peter Graham (pub. Gramercy Music)

Partita - Edward Gregson (as per Regionals 2004) pub. R Smith and Co

Tameside Overture - Philip Sparke (R Smith and Co)

Patterns - Edward Gregson (though a tad short at 6 minutes if you want to contest with it!) (R Smith and Co)

Concert Prelude - Philip Sparke (R Smith and Co) (Good concert opener)

Dimensions - Peter Graham (Boosey and Hawkes)

Simon Called Peter - Gilbert Vinter (Studio Music - full percussion section useful!)

Country Scene - Goff Richards (Studio Music)

More as I think of some. Hope this helps

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

How about trying some of the works by Tim Paton who is a member of Flixton Band. He has just set up his own site www.tpmusic.co.uk
    There are plenty of good concert items on there that are playable by a 4th Section Band...
  4. Bones

Bones Member

Try some of Chris North stuff.

He has his own publishing company www.danetremusic.co.uk I think.

He's an ex Army bloke and is now teaching in Northamptonshire I think. He seems to have a catlogue of stuff for the lower sections and youth Bands, so must be worth a go. Failing that, there is loads of composers on here, ask them.

Have fun.

5. Despot

Despot Member

Surely this topic should be in the rehersal room?

Reasonable request and nothing is being bought or sold, just suggestions sought?
  6. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

If you want to try something new and different, contact me.

My music is specifically out-of-traditional Brass Band character, If you've not heard my music before, most of my stuff is quite magical and jazzy. I don't (usually) write swing music for Brass Band, but because of the harmonisations I use, they sound warm and phat. I'm also one of the 21 finalists in the Fodens Richardsons Award for Composition.

You can check out my catalogue at http://www.devilishpublishing.co.uk

although, for 4th section I would recommened any of these titles from my catalogue:

A Place Where Dreams Come True
    My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose
    Abide with Me
    Elegy to the Victims of Iraq
    Candyfloss and the Sunset Dream
    Flower of Scotland
    In Memoriam Piper Alpha
    Lockerbie: A Rememberence
    To the Heavens of Fire and Water

At Devilish Publishing, I believe you'll find music here that you'll never find anywhere else, make your band stand out from the crowd, make your audiences screem for more and allow the band to enjoy themselves!

pm if you need any more information.
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Cheers Ian

8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hi there Ian.

Check out Simon Kerwin's website. He has a large catalogue of music but you could also commission him to write or arrange a piece for you and dedicated to yourselves (at the top of the music).

Check out www.staveslimited.com or send me a pm for further details.

9. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Ian, The Salvation Army Brass Band Journals contain literally thousands of pieces of music for bands of varying standard.
    Maybe if you could indicate what category of music you are looking for (march, cornet solo etc.) we can make specific suggestions.