Where is "Up North" - the chips and gravy survey

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Mann, Apr 3, 2007.

?

Where you live, is it normal to buy chips and gravy?

Poll closed May 3, 2007.
  1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Uncertain

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. No

42 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. David Mann

David Mann Member

This was inspired by the thread on weird butties...

Where I was brought up (Oldham), it was quite normal to have chips and gravy. I moved to St Neots in Cambridgeshire, where they looked at you most strangely if that's what you asked for. When I moved to Rugby, about half did chips 'n' gravy, half didn't. So my theory is that the North/South divide is nowt to do with wealth, whippets or flat caps but whether you live above or below the chips and gravy line. Please take part in the survey and indicate your location!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Scotland. Definetly no chips and gravy here. We have an east/west divide here. Edinburgh chippies will do your chips with salt and sauce whereas Glasgow chippies do salt and vinegar.

3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

If you want chips and gravy (or mushy peas in fact) round here they have to go heat it up. I have it at home all the time though :)

As for 'Where is up north'....I was always told that anywhere north of Watford was abroad, but then I am from Hampshire originally ;)

4. on_castors

on_castors Member

I come from much further north than you Dave, where whippets are a bit rare, but pigeon keeping is still alive & surprisingly well, even if the mines are long gone; and when growing up (& we are the same age), I never ever knew it. For one thing, then there was little else in Fish & Chip shops in the North East other than fish, chips, pies, sausages & fish cakes, often not even mushy peas, so not much reason to have gravy!

The first time I saw it was 1976, where the Chinese students at the college I was at used to have gravy with EVERYTHING, fish included.

Now, it's a different matter, and you get everything with everything else. As foul as the plastic gravy is, it might serve to drown out the foul offerings :-( No surprise though, The PROPER Fish & chip shop is stone dead, certainly where I come from, and almost everywhere else except some parts of the 3 counties of Yorkshire - something else, vastly inferior has replaced it.

Without starting another thread of it's own, If people don't know the difference between traditional "Fish & Chips" (which can ONLY be cooked in beef dripping for a start, but there is more to it than that) and shops that sell potatoes fried in the cheapest grade of oil which is close to rancidity due to poor handling misuse and lack of filtering, with near decomposing fish of dubious species coated in sodden fried fluorescent orange flour paste, then they need to ask those who live up there who do have the real thing. There are occasional places still surviving outside those areas, but in the Midlands, the standard is exceptionally low, and in Rugby the only possible contender at Brownsover is not quite "real" enough :-(

5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Not even east/west - Edinburgh/Lothian chippies do salt and sauce (or vinegar, if you ask nicely), but even Eyemouth (Berwickshire) chippies don't do sauce, just vinegar. It's Lothian v. The Rest!

And, of course, it's got to be real chip shop sauce - the runny brown stuff :clap:

But gravy, or mushy peas - uurgh! Just for shandy-drinking pansy Southerners...;)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Leicester / Coventry. Nooooooo! I'd rather gouge my eye out with the soggy, gravy laden chip than actually eat it! Chips are meant to be slightly crispy. The addition of gravy / curry sauce / mayonnaise just screws up perfectly balanced culinary experience.

7. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Chips and Gravy is acceptable here, although you'll never catch me eating that famous mackem delicacy of 'cheasy chips' and as for that smoggie creation known as 'parmo', the less said the better really...

8. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Nah, you've got to have gravy on the chips, even the pigeons and whippets around here wouldn't eat them without the gravy:biggrin:

9. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Yes - Chips and Gravy alive and well in Hull (and Wakefield - when I used to live there).

Also in Hull we have to marvellous invention of Chip Spice instead of salt. Try it once and you'll never go back!!!:cool:

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Chips and Gravy down here in Norfolk too!

My local pub also does cheesy chips too!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Up North
    Cambridgeshire
    Oldham
    St Neots
    chips
  12. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

No chips and gravy down here in Sunny Sussex...

13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I feel I must correct your inaccuracy my learned friend. Over the water in Kirkcaldy, and further East, they do salt and sauce. Being a good weegie, it's most annoying having to correct their culinary infraction everytime I'm in the shop. :)

My research does not cover Dunfermline and West Fife as I have yet to find an establishment worthy of my patronage. However, in the interests of all subscribers to this thread I feel I may have to force myself to make the effort. :)

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

May I also throw another option into the hat here. What about chips and curry sauce. Is this a nationwide phenomenon, or isolated to just a few select establishments.

15. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

:clap: :clap: :clap:
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Chips and gravy. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Good one!

Hang on. That is a joke right? No? Now I just feel silly.

17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Many of the students where I work (6th form college) eat chips, cheese, gravy with salt and vinegar! Now that is just plain wrong. If there is anything that does not need extra salt on the top it is a mixture of cheese and gravy. Also cheese and gravy blergh!

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

At last. A subject on here I am qualified to offer expert opinion on!

Chips and gravy is a food of the gods. End of story.

19. annmck

annmck Member

My daughter and I like chips and curry sauce. A taste I aquired in London! I'm afraid I would have to draw the line with gravy on my chips. I do have trouble finding savaloys and wallys down here though. I get very strange looks when I ask for Cod, chips and a wally.

20. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Chips and gravy is alive in Buckinghamshire, but only in the chinese takeaways it seems? Chips and cheese are only available from kebab vans. These normally show up on the "English Dishes" part of the menu! I think there may be some cultural ignorance there!!

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Oooh, Northern Boys LOVE Gravy!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Up North
    Cambridgeshire
    Oldham
    St Neots
    chips