Where have all the Bb bass players gone?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ali, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Stella, as a smaller instrument player I rather resent the the inference that we are all popinjays who do not help the rest of the band out. I will always try to get there early, help put up the tent if necessary, stands, carry the drum kit and help any of our members who might need anything carrying, oh and I am proud to be a Tyke

2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I repeat what I have already said
    Have I played for your band? The answer is no.
    This is the experience I've had with the bands I've been to in Yorkshire, not all bands in Yorkshire. I seem to have bad luck with the ones I've been to. I'm not suggesting all bands in Yorkshire are bad!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Hillarious

4. Matthew

Matthew Member

That's a real shame Stella to hear that. :( I don't think it's the norm at all for Yorkshire Bands.

As an 'adopted' Yorkshireman (I've been up here for 20 years now, wouldn't live anywhere else, love it too much) originally from the South, I've always found the folk at all Yorkshire bands to give a warm welcome and make me feel part of the team.

Of course people are people wherever you go and you'll always get issues here and there, but I have to say for me personally, the spirit of most Yorkshire bandsmen and women is, like other regions, second to none! :)

5. Matthew

Matthew Member

LOL! I remember travelling the tube extensively with my BBb when I was playing with Newham years ago - down the underground banging people's legs, getting in the way, lol. What fun. It was long before I drove too, so I had to lug my bass for miles to get to the bandroom (it was a school at the time if I remember correctly).One evening I got stopped during the bomb scares and had to open my case to prove it wasn't a bomb down the underground. Tell you what though, best thing about taking a BBb on the tube is you can sit on it when there's no seats! Oh yes. :cool:

6. StellaJohnson

I'm sure there are plenty about, I've unfortunatly found the bad apples!!

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

It was indeed a school called Nelson in East Ham, less than half a mile from where I used to live. I had to get mine from East Ham to Clapton, and East Ham to Barkingside on occassion. Crowded Central Line, or the last District line were always fun.

I would sit on my case, but the hard one is somewhere in Kent, and the soft one just won't support the weight of a middle aged bass player :oops:

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I used to go to rehearsals on the bus back in my days at YBS Junior band. Late 80s besson new-standard bass. Old, wooden case with no wheels. (Probably not the original.)

Thankkfully back in those days, busses still had the 'luggage rack' area at the front which was often just large enough to accommodate the tuba.

The half-mile hike from the bus-stop to the bandroom was a bit of a bind though.

Maybe I should have stopped going if they wouldn't swing by with a trailer......

9. pbirch

pbirch Member

I had a similar experience, my first experience with the tuba was in Clapton, and I had to take it on the 253 bus to where I lived in Whitechapel

10. StellaJohnson

That's is entirely your decision.

The original question "where all the Bb bass players gone?" suggests to me there is a severe shortage and something must been done to encourage either people to take the instrument up or get the those who have stopped playing to come back. There have been plenty of fair and reasonably reasons

There have been plenty of people who have said on this thread, transportation due to the size of the beast is one of the factors. Just because you don't mind carting it about on a bus doesn't mean everyone else wants to either. That to me would be an absolute nightmare and put me in the wrong frame of mind at rehearsal and at a gig.

Should bands try and do something about it instead of just calling myself and other people who have there reason's (whatever they are) as awkward because the problem is only going to get worse if bands choose to swept the issue under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist.

11. pbirch

pbirch Member

well of course we wouldn't want to lug a tuba about on a bus these days, and I'm not sure modern bus drivers would want to carry them anyway, but it is part of the rich experience of playing, as are the awful instruments we had to play in the late 60s and early 70s.

12. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

In the 1960s I used to bring my B&H Imperial 4v EEb Bass home after every practice on the bus. I had a good cloth bag for it.
    On two occasions I got off the bus at my stop and as the bus pulled away I realised I'd left the instrument in the buses luggage space under the stairs. It was a terrible empty feeling that assailed me as I watched the bus disappear down the road.
    Luckily, I managed to retrieve it from the lost luggage dept in the town centre the next day. The guy said that I had to pay 10% of its value so I told him it was only worth a tenner and he let me off as I was only 15. I think he was jossing anyway. The second time I lost it, he saw me coming, smiled and went in the back to get. I thanked him as I left and he said "See you soon". Fortunately, I didn't !

~ Mr Wilx

13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I think one of the reasons that double B players are like hens teeth is because many players end up on it after playing another instrument and moving to it as it's usually easier to bring in say a euph player allowing a swap from euph to double B.

Maybe it's the lack of players for other instruments that's causing the shortage, rather than bands not being able to finance transportation and the general lack of players is now showing up most in the bass section.

14. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I'm sure you are right (Bayerd) about players travelling down a band and ending up on Bass, but in my younger days when put on Bass, I did realise that really going for it and making it a success, would open bandroom doors across the world,( I think I've proved that) a good Bass end is as important as any other section and can make or break a band.

15. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

Mr Wilx, I think you were right old friend, I just had 2 weeks sitting indoors talking to myself, but I've now started answering myself, so, I think I will be at Barnsley Chronical Band tonight. Grimeydirk

16. jamieow

jamieow Member

I walked to school with my Tuba from the age of 12. Initially it was a battered old Salvation army EEb thing in a horrid case, then I progressed to a battered old imperial, again in a horrid wooden case.
    It was only a 10 min or so walk but I had to stop for many a breather.
    I remember getting my new Besson in it's wheeled case when I was about 14 - I thought I'd won the lottery!! Granted, these were EEb's, but still a lot for a youngster to carry.

I used to get lifts when the folks could oblige, but due to work it was rare - I got lifts to band etc but not to and from school.
    It's just one of those things - get on with it!

I've had to contend with the tube on occasions also - finishing a job in the Festival Hall, cab, tube, train back to Chester! It's just part of playing the tuba.

17. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

I've found all the bass players, they're all down in Cornwall!
    Doesn't appear to be a shortage down here so perhaps a move to Yorkshire is in order? :)

18. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Good on you Mate ~ It's in the blood Dirk !

~ Mr Wilx

19. StellaJohnson

I assume bands in Cornwall have brand new basses and adequate transportation there?!!!

20. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I agree with you there Dirk, there just seems to be less with that mindset these days.