Where are they now?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

During the late 70's and early 80's The Royal Doulton Band (Stoke-on-Trent) had a superb Principal Cornet player called Nigel Cavill. I haven't seen or heard anything about him since the demise of the Doulton Band. Does anyone know whether he is still playing?

;)

2. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

After a new principal Roger??? :rolleyes:

3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Yeah, it's time Elin got the sack :p!

4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I'll ask Simon. (hubby) He used to play eupho for Royal Doulton.

5. JR

JR Member

This sounds like a potentially v interesting thread - I don't remember Nigel but what about these for starters?:

Eric Capron

Steve Ridler

Matt Down

There must be hundreds...

john r

6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hi John,

Steve Ridler is in Oz, he's playing horn for Brisbane Excelsior. I saw him in Feb last year and he said he is doing fine. If the NZ Nationals weren't on the same time as the Oz Nationals he might have come over.

Buglegirl is principal for Brisbane Excelsior she'll know more.

PS See you soon.

7. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

There was a Matt Downs playing for Alliance at Preston the other week. Is he the same bloke? Got a brother called Spencer if that helps.

8. JR

JR Member

Must be him! - he was the Redbridge flugel player in early 90s - was very impressive I thought - My then band Wallace Arnold Rothwell did a memorable joint concert with Redbridge, at the Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford in early 1993 ( John Clark had them at the time)
    Incidentally our respective principal cornets were Richard Marshall and Matt Baker - wonder what happened to them?

john r

9. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Yes, must be because Matt Downs and Matt Baker are good friends of my brother Alan Swain who was also with Redbridge in the 90's too. They were together at the Guildhall, possibly Chets before that (not sure because my brother met loads of people and I don't know where they were all from!). Matt Baker played with Dyke for a while, and the last time I heard for definite, he was helping Travelsphere sometime last year. Don't know where he is now though.

PM me if you want to, I'll ask my brother to pass on your contact details to them. BTW, do you know Ed Noyhouser too? He was one my brother's mates too - played with Brighouse for a while (not recently) and is still playing bass somewhere abouts!

Pam