Where are the audiences in bandrooms?

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by strongbow, Jan 29, 2004.

?

I don't listen to bands in bandrooms because ...

1. I don't like paying the door money to get in

96.4%
  2. I don't like the atmosphere/decor

1.8%
  3. I have enough of bands listening to mine at rehearsals/concerts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm not interested in the bands that play in my local bandroom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can't be bothered

1.8%
  6. The music that other bands play doesn't interest me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The beer is too dear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. strongbow

strongbow Member

Audiences for band concerts seem to be getting very thin on the ground. Not so long ago you had to be at Dobcross early to make sure you got in.

I'm just trying to find out why people don't go to listen to bands in bandrooms anymore and your input to this poll is much appreciated.

2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not a promising subject when I've got a concert at Dobcross on Sunday at 8pm [/blatant plug]

I really don't know why audiences are falling and their average age is rising! I just think its considered dated and Time Team/Auf Wiedersehn Pet are much better than live music. Apparently. (Not that I'm knocking Auf Wiedersehn Pet!)

3. strongbow

strongbow Member

Oops, worded the message wrong, its not a dig at Dobcross it is happening at other band clubs including Glossop

4. geordiecolin

I realised that. Sorry! Its just that I've got this concert and it just feels like a bit of an omen!!!!

You make a valid point though, although Stocksbridge Band Club on Jan 11th was standing room only. Not quite queuing on the door, but it was still a good turnout!

5. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Sorry to show my ignorance but I've never heard of this practice, even when I did play in traditional brass band.

If anybody wanted to come to our rehearsal we'd have to apply for an extension and get a bar!!! There's only just room for 7 as it is!!

6. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

not bandrooms as in practice rooms.... he means bandclubs!

7. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Arghhh! Now I understand :oops: :oops:

8. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I used to like going to hear bands at Glossop/ Dobx but got sick of the "heckling" and general brass band slagging that goes with the concerts. I know everyone does it but it does get boring week after week. Also Glossop and Dobx are hardly the easiest places to get to. And now that I've got a responsible job haha I need to be in bed early on Sunday nights to recover from my alcohol fuelled weekends!

9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Are band clubs a peculiarly English phenomenon or are there some up here in Scotland too? It's not something that I've ever come across...

10. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Can we have a category for "Because there isn't one near me?"

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dobcross
    input
    bandrooms
    audiences
    bands
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

there's seems to be loads of them around the north west and yorkshire, but i'd never heard of them before i moved up here

13. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

I am pleased to say that Stocksbridge Band club, which is in its 4th season this year, has always attracted a large audience. Maybe because of its venue (ie, accessable to a large number of people within a short distance) and as geordiecolin said, there is usually standing room only. Also as the weeks progress in the season, each concert attracts more and more people (most probably as word gets around :D )

14. geordiecolin

After last night's concert a DobX to about 10 people, it does make you dispair slightly, especially having traipsed 30 miles over the Pennines in mucky weather to get there. Although the odds in the raffle were good!! :shock:

Perhaps Stocksbridge's success is due to its "monopoly status", I believe its the only one in the Sheffield area? Which is a large area with quite a few bands.
    Admittedly, I've only played DobX once, and Stocksbridge twice, but both times I've played at Stocksbridge, band members have been there, supporting the event. Whereas I doubt any were were at DobX last night, seeing as most of the audience were BBSB entourage. To be fair though, if a DobX band member jumped out at me I wouldn't recognise them as such!! If you were there last night, I stand corrected!!

(NB The above paragraph is not in any way "a dig" at Dobcross Band, its just an observation)

Perhaps, if band members attend the clubs then perhaps that'll encourage people to attend. Band clubs are as much about meeting up with other banders, as it is about listening to the band on stage.

As for last night? I enjoyed it and hope to invited back again. The small audience was a minor disappointment but it was still an enjoyable concert and a nice venue in which to play! it was just a shame that I lost the ability to count to 4 in for a period in the second half! :shock: :? :? :oops: :oops:

15. strongbow

strongbow Member

Sorry Geordiecolin, it seems that we had all the audience at Glossop last night for Besses.

I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone that turned out last night to listen to the concert and hope that we see you all again very soon.

Cheers

Janet

16. geordiecolin

Thought as much :( :wink: Oh well!

17. horn1

horn1 Member

I spent most of my early drinking years at band clubs on a sunday night. The heckling can get a bit much at times (I think we were as guilty as anyone though :oops: ) but generally it's a good atmosphere. I don't go that often now for the same reason as Laura - responsible job, too tempting to drink beer so I don't go unless it's someone I really want to hear.

18. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

BT are at Glossop on Sun 23rd Feb- get there peeps!!!!!

19. asteria

asteria Member

I agree, it can be very disheartening for a band when you get a low turn-out audience, although i must admit i like playing at the band clubs - there's a much more relaxed atmosphere and the potential for great entertainment for a low entry fee.

Having said that it's been quite a while since i've watched one, not because i don't enjoy it but mainly it's just too out of the way. Perhaps if i had more of an idea what programme a band was going to play i might make more effort.

Having just checked my schedule i remember we're at Glossop soon, and it's the 22nd of Feb (23rd's a monday laura!).

Just a thought Janet, why not attach a link to the bandroom concerts webpage on your signature so it appears on all your posts?

20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yep you're right. I've got the day I go back to school on the brain before I've even broken up!

21. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Kippax Band Club has a large function room seating about 150 - the band (Kippax UK Coal) give a concert on the 2nd Sunday of every month with a completely different programme each time. (12 new progs per year !!)
    The room is never less than 75% full and sometimes "Chokka"
    We do Bingo and Raffles as well which breaks up the evening.
    We are lucky to have a large bar in the room, and a smaller bar in the Members Lounge which is adjacent.
    The Bandroom is in a separate concrete prefab at the back of the club.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dobcross
    input
    bandrooms
    audiences
    bands