Where are all the Test Piece Rumours??

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mr_Euniverse, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

I remember this time last year, we all were speculating on what was going to be the test piece chosen for the next area!!!

Back then it was St. Magnus as the hot favourite. However ..............
    Then for Butlins to steal it just in the nick of time!!!

So come on, What's everyone's prediction for 2007 area, just so I know what the Butlins piece might be!!

Or what piece would you like to see/hear/play?

I'd like to see Of Men and Mountains for Butlins Then New Jerusalem for the Area.​
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Wouldn't most of us, but they'll probably choose something even more rubbish than this year (if that's possible).:mad:
  3. Hornted

Hornted Member

Test Pieces

Actually thought the pieces for this years area were ok.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Chapionship Section Butlins - Harmony Music
    Areas - New Composition

First Section Butlins - Land of the Long White Cloud
    Areas - Cloudcatcher Fells

Second Section Butlins - Journey into Freedom
    Area - Spectrum (I Hope)

Third Section Butlins - Viscaya
    Areas - New Composition or a real old Chestnut

Fourth Section Butlins - Shipbuilders
    Areas - New Composition probably with the usual diddley Diddley bit inthe last movement​
  5. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Butlins Test piece in 2005 was Harmony Music I think.
    I agree with re-using the good ones but that takes the mick!
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

After all the fuss about 2nd section pieces being too hard, do you really want to give bands Journey and Spectrum?? No 2nd section band will get near them. Plus Cloudcatcher is too difficult for the 1st section IMO, unless you want to hear a load of splits and near misses.
  7. jim

jim Member

Butlins: Concerto Grosso
    Areas: Le Preludes (the hard version!)

Butlins: Harrison's dream
    Areas: Revelation

for championship section off course!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I have heard 2 rumours for the top section area next year. Either Cambridge Variations or Isiah 40.

You heard it here first...

9. GingerMaestro

Sorry I have to disagree with you there on Cloudcatcher being to difficult for the 1st section it is well in the cababilities of most 1st section bands and as for Journey into Freedom and Spectrum being to difficult in comparison to Images for a millennium they are more realistic choices than that and certainly more playable
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Cloudcatcher is very very difficult , have you played any of the cornet parts ginger? very tricky ,spectrum when set as the 1st section area piece caused a few casualties on the
    way , I was lucky to play Journey into Freedom at the 1993 National Finals , to pick it for the 2nd section area would be a really bad idea , I mean it was used at the spring festival last year why degrade it? it's mega tricky , if you did there would be a fair few poor performances , bands complaining they are being streched too much..what would be the point?
  11. jim

jim Member

would have to agree with the above I would much prefer to here bands playing peices well than struggeling its no enjoyment for the band movment and the listener cos bands just with draw ect
  12. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I agree - much better to have 10 or 12 good performances for an adjudicator to choose from than simply pick the one band who 'got through it'!

As Jim points out above - we should consider the listener too. It's all well and good choosing pieces to stretch the bands, but at least make the day bearable by allowing the bands to make performance's out of the piece they have been given to play.
  13. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Isaiah 40 would be good. When was the last time that was used? What with JttCotE been played at the Euorpean last year. Could there be a repeat of a piece from this years Euros??
    Selectors MUST take notice of most bands restrictions. IOW they must NOT choose another piece that requires 4+ percussionists. In championship sections around the country, you won't find many bands with that many on hand. Then you go into paying for
    pros (who then don't really care about coming anywhere as they are there for the £££'s).
    We only have 2 (well 1+1/2) percussionists & we almost didn't go to the area purely because of logistics!
    For British Open / European competition it's OK because of the supply:demand of percussionists.
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

But equally, they should make sure they choose something with sufficient interest and difficulty to challenge and encourage those percussionists who do play with bands week in and week out.
  15. GingerMaestro

Yes I have and it was with a 1st section band. Yes they are tricky but that is the idea of a test piece .....to test ok maybe Journey into Freedom was a bit extreme for the 2nd section but certainly not spectrum that should be playable by most 2nd section bands.
  16. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I totally agree. It is a fantastic piece - one of my favourites.
  17. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Yup - I third Isiah 40, great piece of music, it was last used in the Mineworkers at Blackpool in 2001 if my memory serves me rightly.

Something like that, or Harrisons Dream, or possibly something different, like Riffs and Interludes by Nilsen would do me nicely.

How about something like London Overture, or Essence of Time for the 1st section?

The 3rd section is due something new - the last 3 choices have all been well over 30 years old (Entertainments, Tam O'Shanter, Viscaya)

Not sure about the 2nd or 4th sections as of yet. . .I'll have a think. . .
  18. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

So some bands have percussionists at rehearsals!???? Thats novel! ;)
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I would still like to see The Devil & The Deep Blue Sea (Derek Bourgeois) featured at Championship level. If not that, Cambridge Variations (Philip Sparke) would be an ideal challenge (if bands have all the percussion instruments required for it).
  20. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Well judging by their current selection trend :
    Championship : Little Suite in Eb ( or Triptych)
    1st : Variations on a little F anf G march
    2nd : Concerto Grosso
    3rd : Life Divine
    4th : .... hey who cares let em play what they want and we'll pick it out of a hat.